SPANISH-STYLE WHITE BEAN, KALE AND CHORIZO SOUP : RECIPES …
Provided by: Cooking Channel
Total time: 2 hours 45 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
|1/2 pound dried white beans, such as Great Northern, rinsed and picked over|
|8 1/2 cups chicken stock, (preferably homemade)|
|1 bay leaf, preferably Turkish|
|Pinch saffron threads|
|2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil|
|3 Spanish chorizo sausages, about 3/4 pound, cut into 1/2-inch dice|
|1 large onion, finely chopped|
|4 garlic cloves, minced|
|1 large red bell pepper, finely diced|
|1 tablespoon sweet paprika|
|1 small bunch kale, about 3/4 pound, tough stems removed, washed well, and coarsely chopped|
|Freshly ground black pepper|
|Sherry vinegar, to taste|
- Place the beans in a large pot or soup kettle. Pour in 8 cups of the stock and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and add the bay leaf and a pinch of salt. Cook, partially covered, stirring often and adjusting the heat to keep it at a slow steady simmer, until the beans are tender, about 2 hours. Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- Soak the saffron in the remaining 1/2 cup chicken stock.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate. Add the onion; reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the red pepper and the paprika. Cook for 2 minutes longer, then transfer the contents of the skillet to the bean pot. Stir in the saffron with the soaking liquid, the chorizo, and the kale. Bring back to a simmer and cook just until the kale is wilted, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, stir in the vinegar, and serve hot in warmed soup bowls.
WHITE BEAN SOUP WITH KALE AND CHORIZO RECIPE | MYRECIPES
Provided by: Ann Taylor Pittman
Total time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 1/4 cups)
|2 ounces Spanish chorizo sausage, finely chopped|
|1 cup prechopped onion|
|3 garlic cloves, minced|
|3 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth|
|2 (15-ounce) cans organic cannellini beans, rinsed and drained|
|4 cups prechopped kale|
|½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper|
|Cracked black pepper (optional)|
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chorizo to pan; sauté 1 minute. Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
- While onions cook, pour broth into a microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH for 3 minutes. Add hot broth and beans to pan; bring to a boil. Partially mash beans with potato masher. Stir in kale and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; cook over medium heat 6 minutes. Sprinkle with cracked pepper, if desired.
Calories 235 calories, CarbohydrateContent 30.7 g, CholesterolContent 12 mg, FatContent 7.3 g, FiberContent 7.6 g, ProteinContent 13.4 g, SaturatedFatContent 2.1 g, SodiumContent 586 mg
KALE AND WHITE BEAN SOUP RECIPE | BON APPÉTIT
Provided by: The Bon Appétit Test Kitchen
Total time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Yield: 4 Servings
|1 tablespoon olive oil|
|1/2 small onion, chopped|
|1 garlic clove, finely chopped|
|2 ounces cured Spanish chorizo, casing removed if needed, thinly sliced|
|1 small bunch Tuscan kale, center ribs and stems removed, leaves coarsely chopped|
|1 14.5-oz can cannellini (white kidney) beans, drained|
|4 cups low-sodium chicken broth|
|Kosher salt, fresh ground pepper|
|1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves|
|Lemon wedges (for serving)|
- Tuscan kale, also called black kale, dinosaur kale, Lacinato kale, or cavolo nero, is available at farmers’ markets and some supermarkets.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft and chorizo is golden, 6–8 minutes. Add kale and cook , tossing occasionally, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Add beans and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until flavors meld , 15–20 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Divide soup among bowls, top with parsley, and serve with lemon wedges alongside for squeezing over.
How do you cook chorizo with beans?
Return the chorizo to the pan along with the stock. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add in the beans and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Season the soup with the sea salt and black pepper before serving.
How do you cook chorizo in the microwave?
Add chorizo to pan; sauté 1 minute. Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. While onions cook, pour broth into a microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH for 3 minutes. Add hot broth and beans to pan; bring to a boil.
What is chorizo made of?
Spanish Chorizo is a highly seasoned chopped or ground pork sausage that adds big flavor to Spanish cuisine. It is made with garlic and Spanish smoked paprika, giving it a deep red color and smoky flavor. You can purchase it in both a sweet or spicy variety. We like our chorizo spicy!