SPANISH CRISTIANOS Y MOROS ( BEANS AND RICE SIDEDISH) RECIPE …
Total time: 15 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Yield: 6-8 serving(s)
|1 1/2 cups dried black beans|
|1 cup plain long grain white rice|
|3/4 cup minced white onion|
|red sweet bell pepper, thinly sliced|
|fresh Italian parsley or fresh cilantro leaves|
|3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (I usually use a little less)|
|6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice|
|2 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin|
|1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic (NOT dried)|
|1 1/2 teaspoons salt (to taste)|
|1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)|
- Soak the dried beans, cook until tender and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine all the dressing ingredients and blend well. (This can be done several hours in advance to allow the ingredients to marinate.).
- Cook the rice until done.
- Drain the warm beans and transfer 3 cups to a large bowl.
- Toss the black beans carefully with half of the white onion and half of the dressing.
- In another bowl, transfer the rice and toss with the remaining onion and dressing.
- On a large serving platter, arrange the beans on one side and the rice on the other side.
- Cover and set aside at room temperature for about 1 hour, or refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Adjust seasonings if necessary and garnish with red pepper and parsley (or cilantro) if desired.
Calories 532.2, FatContent 28.1, SaturatedFatContent 4, CholesterolContent 0, SodiumContent 588.3, CarbohydrateContent 58.4, FiberContent 8.3, SugarContent 2.3, ProteinContent 13.1