SERIOUSLY GOOD QUINOA SALAD
Provided by: Adam and Joanne Gallagher
Total time: 25 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: Makes about 8 cups
|1 cup uncooked quinoa|
|2 cups water|
|1/2 medium English cucumber, diced (1 cup)|
|1 medium bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)|
|1 baby bok choy, chopped (2 cups)|
|1 cup additional grated or chopped veggies like carrots or broccoli stems, optional|
|1/2 cup (65 grams) nuts and seeds like walnuts, pine nuts, pepitas or sunflower seeds|
|1/4 cup (35 grams) dried fruit, blueberries or cranberries|
|1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh herbs; use any combination of fresh parsley, cilantro, basil, dill or mint|
|1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas or 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas|
|1/4 cup (60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil|
|1/4 cup (60 ml) apple cider vinegar|
|1 teaspoon Dijon mustard|
|1/2 teaspoon honey or maple syrup|
|1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste|
|1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper|
|Juice from 2 to 3 lemon wedges, optional|
- Add quinoa to a fine mesh strainer, and then rinse under cool water for 30 seconds to a minute. Alternatively, add the quinoa to a bowl and cover with cool water. Move the quinoa around the bowl, and then drain the water and repeat once more, so the quinoa has been rinsed.
- Shake the quinoa of any excess liquid. Combine the rinsed quinoa and water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil then reduce to a low simmer and cook, uncovered, until the liquid is absorbed by the quinoa, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Move the saucepan off of the heat and cover for five minutes. This extra time allows the quinoa to steam and “fluff up.” Uncover, and then fluff the quinoa with a fork. Set aside to cool slightly.
- When the quinoa has cooled slightly, in a large bowl, combine the quinoa, chickpeas, cucumber, bell pepper, bok choy, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, and the herbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, mustard, honey (or maple syrup), salt, and pepper until blended.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well. Taste then adjust with additional salt and pepper as needed. For an extra pop of flavor, spritz the juice from a few lemon wedges over the salad. Serve.
ServingSize 1 cup, Calories 282, FatContent 14g, SaturatedFatContent 2g, CholesterolContent 0mg, SodiumContent 274.5mg, CarbohydrateContent 33g, FiberContent 6.5g, SugarContent 7.3g, ProteinContent 8.8g