PERUVIAN ROASTED CHICKEN WITH SPICY CILANTRO SAUCE RECIPE – NYT …
Provided by: Melissa Clark
Total time: 50 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
|6 garlic cloves, finely grated or minced|
|3 tablespoons soy sauce|
|1 tablespoon aji amarillo paste or another chile paste such as sriracha or sambal|
|1 tablespoon lime juice|
|1 teaspoon aji panca paste or 1 teaspoon pasilla chile powder|
|1 teaspoon Dijon mustard|
|1 teaspoon ground cumin|
|1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper|
|1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt|
|1 (3 1/2- to 4 1/2-pound) chicken, halved (see Note) or 4 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken parts|
|Extra-virgin olive oil, as needed|
|1 cup cilantro leaves and tender stems|
|3 to 4 jalapeños, seeded and diced|
|1/4 cup/1 ounce crumbled feta cheese|
|1 garlic clove, chopped|
|1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice, more to taste|
|2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or basil|
|3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, more to taste|
|1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard|
|1/2 tablespoon aji amarillo or other chile paste (see headnote)|
|1/2 teaspoon honey|
|1/2 teaspoon ground cumin|
|1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil|
|Lime wedges, for garnish|
- For the marinade: In a large bowl, whisk together garlic, soy sauce, aji amarillo paste, lime juice, aji panca paste, mustard, cumin, pepper and salt.
- Add chicken halves, turning to coat them all over with marinade. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to 12 hours.
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees. Remove chicken from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Arrange skin-side up on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with oil.
- Roast until skin is golden and chicken is cooked through, 35 to 45 minutes (if using chicken parts, remove the breasts after 25 to 35 minutes). Remove from oven and let sit, loosely covered with foil, for 10 minutes before serving.
- While chicken is roasting, make the sauce. In a blender, blend cilantro, jalapeños, feta, garlic, lime juice, oregano, salt, mustard, aji amarillo paste, honey, and cumin until smooth. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in oil until mixture is emulsified. Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt or lime juice or both.
- Carve the chicken and serve with the sauce and lime wedges on the side.
What sauce goes with Peruvian-style roast chicken?
If you like, pair your Peruvian-style roast chicken with a Peruvian-inspired green sauce. Inka Mama’s Aji is a spicy sauce made with serrano peppers, garlic, green lettuce, and olive oil.
What is Peruvian chicken with green sauce?
Peruvian Chicken with fresh green sauce is a must-make for your next cookout. Get the easy recipe for chicken thighs infused with a flavorful marinade then grilled or smoked to perfection. Served with a simple homemade sauce made with fresh herbs, garlic, and seasoning. It’s the best chicken dish to make for dinner.
What is Peruvian roast chicken?
Peruvian roast chicken is everything I love about roast chicken: The crisp and golden skin, calling dibs on a drumstick, and that mind blowing aroma that fills my kitchen. But this Peruvian roast chicken recipe isn’t just another roast chicken recipe. Here’s why: •It’s smoky and a little spicy, but with pizzazz.
Is Peruvian chicken good to eat?
This Peruvian Chicken is succulent, juicy, flavorful, and very easy to make! It’s marinated, then roasted, and is good enough to eat on its own, or with a side of Cilantro Jalapeño Sauce. This might be my favorite chicken of all time.