WATERMELON RIND PRESERVES ARE EVEN BETTER THAN WATERMELON RECIPE
Provided by: Kat Kinsman
Total time: 1 hours 30 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours 0 minutes
Yield: 2 pints
|One 6 to 7 pound piece watermelon|
|1 cup lemon juice (from 6 to 8 lemons)|
|1 cup water|
|2 cups sugar|
|One 1-inch-long piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into ¼-inch-thick rounds|
|Six 4-inch-long strips lemon peel (from ½ lemon)|
- Fill a 3-quart pot three-quarters full of water and bring to a boil. Using tongs, carefully set the jars on their sides, along with their lids and a long-handled, slotted metal spoon, in the boiling water to sterilize. Boil for 15 minutes, then remove from the water with tongs or a jar lifter and set aside.
- Scoop the flesh from the watermelon and reserve for another use. With a vegetable peeler or a knife, peel the thick green skin from the watermelon rind and discard. Cut the rind roughly into ½-inch dice. You should have about 8 cups.
- Place the diced rind in a 3-quart pot and add the lemon juice, water, sugar, ginger, and lemon peel. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring a few times to distribute the ingredients evenly and help dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, over medium low heat for 40 minutes, or until the watermelon rind is translucent.
- With the slotted spoon, transfer the pieces of rind to the jars, and leave the syrup to simmer and thicken for 10 minute more. Carefully pour the syrup into the jars (using a funnel, if necessary) until it is ½ inch from the rim. Place the lids on the jars, seal, and set aside to cool. Refrigerate for 2 days before using. The preserves will keep for about 4 weeks in the refrigerator.
WATERMELON RIND PRESERVES RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT
Provided by: Taste of Home
Total time: 01 hours 30 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 01 hours 15 minutes
Yield: 6 half-pints.
|1-1/2 to 2 pounds watermelon rind|
|1/4 cup salt|
|2 quarts warm water|
|4 cups sugar|
|1/4 cup bottled lemon juice|
|7 cups water|
|2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)|
|5 whole cloves|
|2 cardamom pods|
- Trim green skin and pink flesh from watermelon rind; chop enough rind to yield 6 cups. In a large bowl, stir salt and 2 quarts warm water until salt is dissolved. Add 6 cups chopped rind. Cover and refrigerate 5-6 hours. Drain and rinse in cold water; drain. Cover rind with cold water and let stand 30 minutes. Drain. Transfer rind to a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until just tender, 10-15 minutes; drain., To make preserves, in a stockpot, combine sugar, lemon juice and 7 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Stir in rind. Place cinnamon, cloves and cardamom on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose seasonings; tie securely with string. Add to stockpot. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until rind is clear, 30-45 minutes. Discard spice bag., Remove from heat. Ladle hot mixture into 6 hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight., Place jars into canner with water simmering, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool.
Calories 71 calories, FatContent 0 fat (0 saturated fat), CholesterolContent 0 cholesterol, SodiumContent 60mg sodium, CarbohydrateContent 19g carbohydrate (18g sugars, FiberContent 0 fiber), ProteinContent 0 protein.