VEGAN COCONUT LENTIL SOUP RECIPE | BON APPÉTIT
Provided by: Claire Saffitz
Yield: Makes about 8 cups
|1 large onion|
|6 garlic cloves|
|1 3-inch piece ginger|
|2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil|
|5 teaspoons curry powder|
|½ teaspoon cayenne pepper|
|1 13.5-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk|
|1 cup split red lentils|
|½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut|
|2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more|
|1 10-ounce box frozen spinach, thawed|
|1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes|
|Plain non-dairy or whole-milk yogurt (for serving; optional)|
- Peel 1 onion and chop. Smash 6 garlic cloves with the flat side of your knife. Peel, then finely chop. Peel 3″ piece ginger with a small spoon, then finely chop.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in large Dutch oven over medium. Add onion and cook, stirring often, just until translucent, 6–8 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring often, until garlic is starting to turn golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add 5 tsp. curry powder and ½ tsp. cayenne and cook, stirring constantly, until spices are aromatic and starting to stick to bottom of pot, about 1 minute.
- Add 13.5 oz. coconut milk and stir to loosen spices, then stir in 1 cup lentils, ½ cup shredded coconut, 2 tsp. salt, and 5 cups water.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low to keep soup at a gentle simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lentils are broken down and soup is thickened, 25–30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove 10 oz. thawed frozen spinach from packaging and squeeze between your hands over sink to remove excess water. Transfer to cutting board and coarsely chop.
- Add spinach and 15 oz. tomatoes to pot and stir to combine. Taste and season with more salt. Simmer just to let flavors meld, about 5 minutes. Taste and season again with more salt.
→ Frozen spinach: A shortcut we can totally get behind.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with yogurt, if desired.
EASY LENTIL SPINACH SOUP – HEALTHY, VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE & SO …
Provided by: MelanieCooks.com
Total time: 45 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
|1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil|
|1 onion (chopped)|
|2 carrots (peeled and chopped)|
|4 garlic cloves (minced)|
|2 tsp ground cumin|
|2 tsp chili powder|
|1/2 tsp dried oregano|
|1 large can (28 oz chopped tomatoes)|
|1 cup lentils (picked over and rinsed (I used split red lentils))|
|5 cups water|
|1 tsp salt|
|1/2 tsp black pepper|
|1 package (5 oz baby spinach)|
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin, chili powder and oregano, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add chopped tomatoes and their juice, stir, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add lentils, water, salt and pepper. Increase the heat to High and bring to boil. Loosely cover the pot and reduce heat to Simmer. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook for 2 minutes, or until spinach is wilted.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into the soup and stir. Add more salt and pepper to taste if needed.
MEDITERRANEAN LENTIL AND SPINACH SOUP – FORKS OVER KNIVES
Provided by: FORKSOVERKNIVES.COM
Total time: 1 hours
Prep time: 20 minutes
|32 ounces low-sodium vegetable broth|
|1 cup brown or green lentils, rinsed and drained|
|1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)|
|2 stalks celery, chopped (½ cup)|
|1 carrot, chopped (½ cup)|
|3 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 green zucchini or yellow squash, cut into ½-inch pieces|
|1 teaspoon ground cumin|
|1 teaspoon fresh oregano, snipped|
|2 medium tomatoes, chopped (2 cups)|
|Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste|
|4 cups fresh baby spinach|
- In a 6-qt. Dutch oven combine the first six ingredients (through garlic) and 1 cup water. Bring to boiling over medium-high; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 25 to 30 minutes or just until lentils are tender.
- Stir in squash, cumin, and oregano. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes more or until squash is tender. Stir in tomatoes; heat through. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Before serving, stir in spinach.