HAND TORN PASTA | TASTEMADE
|For the pasta:|
|2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting|
|4 large egg yolks|
|2 whole eggs|
|1 teaspoon kosher salt|
|For the sauce:|
|2 cups cherry tomatoes|
|2-3 tablespoons olive oil|
|3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced|
|Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|Red pepper flakes|
|Fresh basil for garnish|
|Fresh Parmesan for shaving|
- Form flour into a mound in the center of a cutting board, forming a well in the center. Pour eggs, yolks and salt into the center, whisking with a fork to incorporate the edges of the flour into the eggs.
- Use your hands to knead the dough, adding a bit more flour if the dough is too sticky. Knead until the dough feels elastic and smooth, up to 10 minutes. Wrap dough with plastic wrap and set aside to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Dust workspace with flour. Use a bench scraper or chef's knife to cut a chunk of dough off the round, about 1/6 of the original dough ball.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough until 1/8 of an inch thick. Tear the pasta into 2-3 inch pieces and dust with flour. Set on a sheet tray. Repeat with remaining pasta.
- Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Working in batches, cook pasta for about a minute, or until it floats. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water, and drain pasta.
- Heat a large sauté pan over high heat. Toss in tomatoes and cook until they begin to blister, about 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, a big glug of olive oil, and garlic. Sauté until garlic begins to brown and becomes fragrant. Sprinkle in the red pepper flakes, cooking until the cherry tomatoes begin to burst, soften, and simmer.
- Drizzle in 1/4 cup of the cooking water as needed to loosen it up. Add in pasta and a drizzle of olive oil, tossing to coat. Serve immediately, garnished with some torn parsley or basil and freshly shaved Parmesan.
BROKEN SPAGHETTI RISOTTO | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Chef John
Categories: Side Dishes
Total time: 25 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
|1 tablespoon olive oil|
|8 ounces uncooked spaghetti, broken into 1 inch pieces|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 ½ cups chicken broth|
|½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste|
|salt to taste|
|2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, or to taste|
|1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley|
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat; add spaghetti and toast, stirring constantly, until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir garlic into spaghetti pieces and cook for 30 seconds.
- Pour in 1/2 cup broth and increase heat to medium high. Stir spaghetti and broth until all the liquid is absorbed, 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat this process until all of the stock is absorbed and noodles are desired tenderness, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Season spaghetti with salt and red pepper flakes to taste. Remove from heat.
- Stir Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and parsley into spaghetti and serve.
Calories 517.9 calories, CarbohydrateContent 86.3 g, CholesterolContent 8.9 mg, FatContent 10.5 g, FiberContent 3.9 g, ProteinContent 17.8 g, SaturatedFatContent 2.1 g, SodiumContent 2120.6 mg, SugarContent 4.1 g