BEST SAUSAGE ROLLS RECIPE – HOW TO MAKE SAUSAGE ROLLS
Provided by: THEPIONEERWOMAN.COM
Categories: birthday party,cocktail party,feed a crowd,New Year’s Eve,Super Bowl,tailgate,appetizers,meat,snack
Total time: 1 hours 30 minutes
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 0S
Yield: 12 servings
|3 slices bacon, finely chopped|
|1/2 onion, peeled and finely chopped|
|1 piece of celery, finely chopped|
|1 clove garlic, finely chopped|
|1 14 oz package of puff pastry, thawed according to package directions|
|1 lb. pork sausage|
|2 tbsp. chopped, fresh parsley|
|1/2 c. panko bread crumbs|
|2 large eggs, divided|
|1/4 tsp. salt|
|1/4 tsp. ground black pepper|
|Mustard, for serving|
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon, onion and celery, and cook for 4 minutes, until slightly softened. Add the garlic and cook 1 more minute. Remove from the heat and transfer the bacon mixture to a plate. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the sausage, parsley, panko, 1 egg, salt, pepper and cooled bacon mixture. Mix well to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, open the puff pastry sheets on a very lightly floured cutting board (you should have 2 sheets, measuring 10-inches by 10-inches). Cut each in half to make 4 rectangles, 5-inches by 10-inches each. Lay each rectangle so that the long side faces you.
- Remove the sausage mixture from the refrigerator and divide it into 4 portions. Form each portion into the shape of a long log, about 1-inch thick, and place one lengthwise in the center of each puff pastry rectangle. (The sausage should stretch the full length of the pastry).
- In a small bowl, beat the remaining egg with 1 tablespoon of water. Brush all of the borders of the puff pastry with the egg and carefully roll the pastries over the sausage mixture to create a log shape (making sure that the borders overlap slightly). Place each roll seam side down on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper. Freeze for 30 minutes or refrigerate for up to 1 hour. (Hang on to the egg wash for later).
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Using a sharp knife, cut each sausage roll into 6 equal portions. Transfer the pieces to a parchment lined baking sheet, seam side down, about 1-inch apart. Brush the tops of the rolls with the egg wash. Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until the puff pastry is puffed and golden on top.
SAUSAGE ROLLS RECIPE – NYT COOKING
A pleasantly spiced homemade sausage mixture is easy to make up with a pound or two of ground pork shoulder, not too lean. They are usually made with all-butter puff pastry (often frozen store-bought, a good option); these are wrapped in a very flaky lard and butter pastry. Both the pastry and the sausage filling can be made a day ahead.
Provided by: David Tanis
Total time: 2 hours
Yield: 24 sausage rolls
|2 cups/250 grams all-purpose flour, more for dusting|
|1/2 teaspoon salt|
|4 tablespoons/50 grams pork lard|
|4 ounces/113 grams cold unsalted butter (1 stick), cut in 1/4-inch cubes|
|1/2 cup /118 milliliters ice water|
|2 pounds/900 grams pork shoulder, not too lean, ground coarse|
|2 teaspoons kosher salt|
|1/2 teaspoon black pepper|
|Pinch of cayenne|
|1/2 teaspoon ground coriander|
|1/4 teaspoon nutmeg|
|1/4 teaspoon mace|
|2 teaspoons chopped thyme|
|2 tablespoons chopped sage|
|2 tablespoons chopped parsley|
|1 egg, beaten, for egg wash|
- Make the pastry: Put flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Work in lard with fingertips until completely absorbed. Add butter cubes and ice water and mix with a wooden spoon to form a sticky dough. Dust dough with flour and pat into a rough square about 1 inch thick. Wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Make the sausage filling: Put pork in a mixing bowl. Add salt, pepper, cayenne, coriander, nutmeg, mace, thyme, sage and parsley. Working quickly with wet hands, incorporate seasoning evenly. Divide mixture into 4 equal pieces (1/2 pound each) and roll each piece into a 9-inch sausage length. Cover and refrigerate.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Roll pastry into a rectangle 9 inches by 24 inches. Cut rectangle in half lengthwise and crosswise to form four rectangles 4 1/2 inches by 12 inches. Lay 1 sausage in the center of each rectangle and moisten 1 of the long edges with a bit of water. Wrap dough around sausage and press edges together to make a log. With the seam side down, cut each log into 6 pieces.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Arrange 12 pieces on each sheet and brush each piece well with egg wash. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until pastry is crisp and golden and sausage is cooked. Cool for 5 minutes before serving, or serve at room temperature.
@context http//schema.org, Calories 147, UnsaturatedFatContent 6 grams, CarbohydrateContent 1 gram, FatContent 13 grams, FiberContent 0 grams, ProteinContent 7 grams, SaturatedFatContent 6 grams, SodiumContent 122 milligrams, SugarContent 0 grams, TransFatContent 0 grams
MINI SAUSAGE ROLLS RECIPE | BBC GOOD FOOD
Provided by: John Torode
Categories: Buffet, Canapes
Total time: 55 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Yield: Makes 20
|½ small garlic clove|
|handful of parsley, chopped|
|400g sausagemeat or sausages|
|375g pack ready-rolled puff pastry|
|1 beaten egg, to glaze|
- Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Crush the garlic and a little salt to a paste using a pestle and mortar, or use the flat of a knife on a chopping board. Mix together with the parsley and stir in 50ml cold water.
- Blend the sausagemeat in a food processor (if using sausages, peel away the skins) on a high speed, pour the garlic water into the mixture, then season with pepper. Blend until combined.
- Unroll the pastry onto a board and cut in half lengthways.
- Divide the sausage mixture in two and spread along the length of each pastry strip in a cylinder shape, leaving a 1cm edge.
- Tightly roll the pastry around the sausagemeat and brush the ends with the beaten egg to secure.
- Cut each roll into 10 pieces with a sharp knife, each about 2.5cm long, and arrange on a baking sheet. Will keep, covered and frozen, for one month.
- Brush more beaten egg all over the pastry. Cook for 25-35 mins until the pastry is puffed and crisp and the meat has cooked through. Add an extra 10 mins if cooking from frozen. Eat hot or cold with tomato ketchup, if you like.
Calories 136 calories, FatContent 10 grams fat, SaturatedFatContent 4 grams saturated fat, CarbohydrateContent 9 grams carbohydrates, SugarContent 1 grams sugar, ProteinContent 4 grams protein, SodiumContent 0.5 milligram of sodium
How to make the perfect vegetarian sausage rolls?
Vegetarian Sausage Rolls Filling
Start with preparing your sweet potatoes by peeling them and cutting into small cubes. …
When your sweet potatoes are cooking prepare all the remaining ingredients as per instructions. …
Once your sweet potatoes are cooked and cooled slightly, mash them up roughly using potato masher. …
How to make sausage rolls with puff pastry?
Preheat the oven to gas mark 7/ 200°C.
Roll out the pastry on a floured surface to a thickness of about 1/2 a centimeter (if the pastry is too thick the sausage rolls will be soggy in parts), …
Cut the pastry shape in half to give two separate pieces of pastry.
Carefully remove the skin from the sausages.
How do you make a British Sausage Roll?
Preheat oven to 425° F.
Roll puff pastry sheet to approximately 14 x 10-inches on a lightly floured surface. Cut in half lengthwise. …
Cut each roll to desired size (I cut each roll into four pieces). Cut 2 to 3 diagonal slits in each piece. …
Brush with egg wash. Bake at 425° F for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown and sausage is completely cooked. …
How to cook sausage the best way?
What is the best way to cook sausages?
Bring the sausages to room temperature before cooking. …
Don’t prick them. …
Heat a heavy-based frying pan on a low to medium heat. …
Add around a teaspoon of fat to the frying pan. …
Place the sausages in the pan. …
Remove the sausages from the pan and allow them to rest for a few minutes. …