CALDO DE POLLO RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: jack&lanasmommy
Categories: Chicken Soup
Total time: 2 hours 10 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours 50 minutes
|5 pounds chicken leg quarters|
|2 gallons water|
|2 tablespoons minced garlic|
|2 tablespoons salt|
|1 tablespoon garlic powder|
|1 cube chicken bouillon|
|4 large carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks|
|4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks|
|4 zucchini, cut into large chunks|
|1 chayote, cut into large chunks|
|1 large white onion, cut into large chunks|
|½ bunch fresh cilantro, chopped|
- Place chicken legs into a large stockpot and pour water over chicken; add garlic, salt, and garlic powder.
- Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook until chicken meat falls off bones, 1 to 2 hours.
- Stir in chicken bouillon cube and let dissolve.
- Add carrots, potatoes, zucchini, chayote, and white onion to the pot. Adjust heat to medium-low and cook soup at a low boil until carrots and potatoes are tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Stir chopped cilantro into soup. Simmer for 5 minutes and serve.
Calories 605.7 calories, CarbohydrateContent 42.3 g, CholesterolContent 159.7 mg, FatContent 25.1 g, FiberContent 6.7 g, ProteinContent 51.6 g, SaturatedFatContent 6.9 g, SodiumContent 2079.6 mg, SugarContent 5.8 g
CALDO DE RES – MEXICAN BEEF SOUP RECIPE – TABLESPOON.COM
Provided by: Sonia Mendez Garcia
Total time: 3 hours 30 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
|12 cups water|
|2 lbs beef shanks with bone|
|1 bulb of garlic (head of garlic)|
|2 bay leaves|
|2 to 3 tablespoons salt|
|4 white potatoes, chopped into 1 inch cuts|
|3 Serrano chiles, roughly chopped|
|1 small white onion, diced|
|4 carrots, sliced thick|
|3 ears of corn, cut into 9 pieces|
|4 cups green cabbage, cut into 1 inch pieces|
|1/2 cup chopped cilantro|
|16 corn tortillas, if desired|
|1 large lime, cut into wedges, if desired|
- In a large, heavy pot, add 10 cups water, beef, garlic, bay leaves, and 1 1/2 tablespoons of salt. Bring to a boil, skimming the top when needed. Cover, reduce heat and continue cooking 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the meat becomes tender.
- In a blender, add the Serrano chiles, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 cup water, blend until smooth, set aside.
- Once meat becomes tender, remove bay leaves and bulb of garlic. Add potatoes to the pot, along with the onions, carrots and corn. Add the remaining 2 cups water, taste the broth for salt and season to taste. Bring up to a boil, reduce heat and continue cooking until potatoes are fork tender.
- When potatoes are tender, remove the corn and meat from the soup, transfer to a large bowl, cover to keep warm.
- Add cabbage and 1/4 cup of cilantro to the soup. Cook for just another 15 to 20 minutes, until cabbage becomes tender, but is still crisp. Remove soup from heat and let sit for 15 minutes. Warm the corn tortillas on a hot comal or griddle and keep warm in a tortilla warmer.
- Divide the soup into 8 bowls. Add corn and some of the meat to each bowl. Garnish with lemon wedges, cilantro, and Serrano salsa for some added spice.
- Serve with warm corn tortillas, if desired.
ServingSize 1 Serving
CALDO DE RES (MEXICAN BEEF SOUP) RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: LKONIS
Categories: Mexican Beef Soups and Stews
Total time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours 0 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
|2 pounds beef shank, with bone|
|1 tablespoon vegetable oil|
|2 teaspoons salt|
|2 teaspoons ground black pepper|
|1 onion, chopped|
|1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes|
|3 cups beef broth|
|4 cups water|
|2 medium carrot, coarsely chopped|
|¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro|
|1 potato, quartered|
|2 ears corn, husked and cut into thirds|
|2 chayotes, quartered|
|1 medium head cabbage, cored and cut into wedges|
|¼ cup sliced pickled jalapenos|
|¼ cup finely chopped onion|
|1 cup chopped fresh cilantro|
|2 limes, cut into wedges|
|4 radishes, quartered|
- Cut the meat from the beef bones into about 1/2 inch pieces, leaving some on the bones.
- Heat a heavy soup pot over medium-high heat until very hot. Add the oil, tilting the pan to coat the bottom. Add the meat and bones, and season with salt and pepper. Cook and stir until thoroughly browned.
- Add 1 onion, and cook until onion is also lightly browned. Stir in the tomatoes and broth. The liquid should cover the bones by 1/2 inch. If not, add enough water to compensate. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 1 hour with the lid on loosely. If meat is not tender, continue cooking for another 10 minutes or so.
- Pour in the water, and return to a simmer. Add the carrot and 1/4 cup cilantro, and cook for 10 minutes, then stir in the potato, corn and chayote. Simmer until vegetables are tender. Push the cabbage wedges into the soup, and cook for about 10 more minutes.
- Ladle soup into large bowls, including meat vegetables and bones. Garnish with jalapenos, minced onion, and additional cilantro. Squeeze lime juice over all, and serve with radishes.
Calories 234.2 calories, CarbohydrateContent 25.9 g, CholesterolContent 38.7 mg, FatContent 5.7 g, FiberContent 7.2 g, ProteinContent 22 g, SaturatedFatContent 1.6 g, SodiumContent 1134.7 mg, SugarContent 8.6 g