PILAU RICE RECIPE – GOOD TO | INDIAN RECIPES | GOODTO
Provided by: Jessica Dady
Categories: Dinner, Lunch
Total time: 40 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: Serves: 4–6
|1tsp cumin seeds|
|1tbsp ghee or oil|
|1 onion, peeled and chopped|
|4 cardamom pods|
|250g basmati rice|
|2 bay leaves|
|1-2 cinnamon sticks, broken|
- Heat a large pan, which has a tight-fitting lid. Sprinkle the cumin seeds over the base and cook for 30 secs, stirring well to toast them but taking care not to burn them. Tip out of the pan into a bowl.
- Heat the ghee or oil in the pan. Add the onion and cook it over a medium heat for 5-7 mins, until it starts to soften. Crush the cumin seeds lightly with the cardamom pods. Add the cumin, cardamom, cloves and turmeric to the pan and cook for 1-2 mins.
- Rinse the rice well and add to the pan, along with 450ml boiling water, the bay leaves and cinnamon sticks and stir briefly just to mix. Bring the mixture to the boil, cover the pan and cook over a low heat for 12-15 mins, until the water is absorbed. Leave the rice in the pan but off the heat for a few mins before serving.
@context https//schema.org, Calories 329 Kcal, SugarContent 1 g, FatContent 11 g, SaturatedFatContent 1 g, SodiumContent 6.2 g, ProteinContent 7 g, CarbohydrateContent 53 g
PILAU RICE RECIPE – BBC FOOD
Provided by: The Hairy Bikers
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: Serves 4-6
|½ tsp coriander seeds|
|6 cardamom pods|
|1 tsp cumin seeds|
|1 cinnamon stick|
|2 bay leaves|
|1 small onion, finely chopped|
|1 garlic clove, finely chopped|
|½ tsp ground turmeric|
|½ tsp black mustard seeds|
|300g/10½oz basmati rice, rinsed and drained|
|500ml/18fl oz chicken or vegetable stock, fresh or made from 1 stock cube|
|sea salt and freshly ground black pepper|
- Using a pestle and mortar, pound the coriander seeds into a coarse powder. Add the cardamom pods and grind until the husks split and the seeds are lightly crushed. Add the cumin, cloves, cinnamon and bay and pound very lightly for a few seconds, to mix.
- Melt half the butter in a sauté pan or wide-based saucepan over a medium heat. Fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes, or until softened, stirring regularly. Sprinkle in the turmeric and mustard seeds, plus all the ingredients from the pestle and mortar. Fry gently for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Mix in the rice to coat it in the buttery spices. Add the stock and a good pinch of black pepper. Add a pinch of salt if needed (stock from a cube will already contain salt). Stir well and bring to the boil. Give a final stir then cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid. Reduce the heat to its lowest setting and cook for 15 minutes.
- When the rice is cooked, cut the rest of the butter into small pieces. Remove the pan lid and dot the butter over the hot rice. Leave to melt for a few seconds, then quickly fluff up the rice using a fork, taking care not to break up the grains.
- Replace the lid and leave to stand for 5 minutes before serving. (Warn your guests not to eat the cardamom, cinnamon or any whole cloves.)
What is Pilau seasoning and how do you use it?
The brown color of the pilau comes from caramelizing the onions, browning the meat until it becomes really browned. The pilau seasoning or pilau masala also adds a bit of color to the rice as well as a unique flavor. I used beef in this recipe, but chicken or any other type of meat can also be used.
How to make the best pilau masala?
1teaspoonful of pilau masala 3 teaspoons cardamom pods A pinch full of Fernugreek seeds 2 cinnamon sticks 2 beef cubes 1/2 kg of beef 4 peppercorns 5 large tomatoes grated Cooking oil 1 ginger grated 500g potatoes peeled and sliced Procedure of coking Pilau Boil the meat until it’s fully cooked.
What are the ingredients of coking pilau?
Ingredients of coking Pilau 1/2 kg of high quality rice 3 large onion chopped 4 gloves of garlic 1teaspoonful of pilau masala 3 teaspoons cardamom pods A pinch full of Fernugreek seeds 2 cinnamon sticks 2 beef cubes 1/2 kg of beef 4 peppercorns 5 large tomatoes grated Cooking oil 1 ginger grated 500g potatoes peeled and sliced
How long does it take to cook pilau?
The pilau seasoning or pilau masala also adds a bit of color to the rice as well as a unique flavor. I used beef in this recipe, but chicken or any other type of meat can also be used. I used basmati rice which takes about 20 minutes to cook however, your cooking time may vary depending on the type of rice you use.