PERUVIAN HOT CHOCOLATE – DELICIOUS CREAMY & SPICY DRINK RECIPE
Provided by: Eat Peru
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
|1 cinnamon stick|
|1 piece orange peel (dried, about an inch long)|
|1 Star anise|
|1 pinch nutmeg|
|½ cup water|
|2 cups prepared whole milk (240 ml)|
|½ cup evaporated milk|
|3 tablespoons Peruvian bitter cocoa|
|1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch|
|1 teaspoon instant coffee|
|sugar to taste|
- Gather ingredients
- Place a small pot on the stove over medium heat, add half a cup of water and immediately add the spices. Add the cinnamon stick, cloves, and star anise.
- Cook the spice infusion half covered over low heat for at least 10 minutes. Turn off the stove, remove from the heat, and strain the spices. Discard the spices and preserve the infusion.
- Return the infusion to the pot, and dissolve the dark chocolate and instant coffee in it, whisking with a hand mixer.
- Then add the whole milk and the evaporated milk. Stir well until all ingredients are mixed.
- Add the pinch of nutmeg and continue beating without letting the mixture boil.
- Dissolve the tablespoon of cornstarch in three tablespoons of water. Add the diluted cornstarch to the chocolate and continue beating in circles until the chocolate is thick.
- If you want you can add a more teaspoon of cornstarch.
- Cook for three more minutes, add sugar to taste, and serve hot in large cups.
- If you like chocolate with a lot of foam, blend it before serving.
- Decorate with whipped cream, marshmallows, or cinnamon powder.
Calories 205 kcal, CarbohydrateContent 19 g, ProteinContent 7 g, FatContent 11 g, SaturatedFatContent 7 g, CholesterolContent 22 mg, SodiumContent 91 mg, FiberContent 2 g, SugarContent 12 g, ServingSize 1 serving