MAPLE PEAMEAL BACON ROAST RECIPE – FOOD.COM
Total time: 1 hours 15 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours
Yield: 6 serving(s)
|1 (3 1/2 lb) peameal bacon (roast)|
|1/2 cup maple syrup|
|2 tablespoons Dijon mustard|
|2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary|
|1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper|
|1/4 teaspoon sea salt (optional)|
- Preheat oven to 350F/180°C.
- Cut six 1-inch slits across roast.
- Place a cooling rack on a large rimmed baking sheet lined with foil. Place bacon on rack.
- Combine maple syrup, Dijon mustard, rosemary, salt and pepper. Brush with basting mixture.
- Bake in centre of oven for 25 – 30 minutes and baste with remaining mixture.
- Bake for 50 – 60 minutes, or until a thermometer registers 130F/55°C.
- Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
Calories 488.3, FatContent 18.7, SaturatedFatContent 5.9, CholesterolContent 132.3, SodiumContent 3788.2, CarbohydrateContent 22.6, FiberContent 0.3, SugarContent 15.9, ProteinContent 54.9
ROASTED PEAMEAL BACON – OLD CUT KITCHEN
Provided by: Marci
Categories: Main Course
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 65 minutes
|2 lb cured pork loin or peameal bacon|
|1 Tbsp grainy mustard|
|1 Tbsp raspberry jam (any jam and mustard combination is good)|
- Unwrap peameal and remove any plastic wrap around meat. Pat dry.
- Turn oven to 400° on roast setting. Place meat in baking dish skin side up. Roast uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350° and roast an additional 30 minutes.
- Mix together mustard and jam. Spread evenly over peameal, including ends. Roast another 20 minutes until top is sizzling and browning.
- Let meat rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
PEAMEAL BACON RECIPE | EPICURIOUS
Peameal is not made with peas anymore. Like most aspects of life, ranging from food to plastic, peameal is being taken over by corn. We make our peameal with dried yellow peas crushed in the processor. The purpose of peas or cornmeal is to wick and dry, thus preventing spoilage. You will let the meat brine for a minimum of four full days, ninety-six hours, in the fridge. It is necessary to have a brine injector; they sell them nowadays for under ten bucks in big stores.
Provided by: Fredéric Morin
Yield: Makes about 4 pounds (1.8 kg)
|3 quarts (3 liters) cold water|
|1 cup (300 g) maple syrup|
|2/3 cup (150 g) kosher salt|
|2 tablespoons Prague powder #1 cure (optional)|
|1 tablespoon mustard seeds|
|1 bay leaf|
|4 1/2 pounds (2 kg) boneless lean
|1 1/2 cups (215 g) coarse cornmeal or 1 1/2 cups (340 g) dried yellow peas, roughly milled in a food processor|
- 1. In a plastic (preferably) container large enough to hold both the brine and the meat, mix together the water, maple syrup, salt, cure, and spices.
- 2. Scoop out a scant 1 cup (200 ml) brine, and use it to load the brine injector. Then, inject the loin every 3/4 to 1 inch (2 to 2.5 cm), inserting the needle about 3/4 inch (2 cm) deep. Try to distribute the brine evenly over the loin. Place the loin in the container with the remaining brine, and keep the meat submerged with the help of a plate or an object of a similar build. Cover and refrigerate for 4 full days.
- 3. Remove the loin from the brine and pat it dry. Then roll it in the meal of your choosing. Give it a day’s rest, uncovered, in the fridge, so the meal and meat form as one.
- 4. You have two options on cooking it: you can slice it and griddle it for a minute on each side (for thin slices that is), or you can bake it at 375°F (190°C) for about an hour, or until it has a core temperature of 142°F (61°C), then slice it. I like it the first way, especially when it gets a bit burnt on the edges and I have added a dash of maple syrup that caramelizes a bit toward the end.
BAKED CITRUS PEAMEAL BACON – SMOOTH BITES – MAKING TASTY …
Total time: 100 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Yield: 6 Servings
|1 lbs Peameal bacon, rolled in cornmeal|
|1 cup Orange juice|
|2 tbsp Lime juice|
|Juice of 1/2 a lemon|
|Zest of 1/4 a lemon|
- 1 Preheat oven to 350F.
- 2 In bowl mix the orange juice, lime juice, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- 3 Place peameal bacon in casserole dish and pour juice mixture over top.
- 4 Cover casserole dish and bake for 1 1/4 hours. Remove lid and cook for additional 15 minutes or until internal temperature is 160F (71C). Slice peameal into slices and serve. For added flavour put juice from dish on top.
ServingSize , Calories , FatContent , CarbohydrateContent , CholesterolContent , FiberContent , ProteinContent , SaturatedFatContent , SodiumContent , SugarContent , TransFatContent