PASTA WITH SPICY SAUSAGE, BROCCOLI RABE AND CHICKPEAS RECIPE …
Provided by: Lidey Heuck
Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
|Kosher salt and black pepper|
|1 1/2 pounds broccoli rabe or broccoli, chopped, tough stems discarded, or hearty greens like kale or escarole|
|1 pound shaped pasta, such as campanelle or orecchiette|
|2 tablespoons olive oil|
|1 pound hot Italian sausage, casings removed, or sweet Italian sausage, ground pork or turkey|
|3 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)|
|1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken stock|
|1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas or other white beans, rinsed and drained|
|2 tablespoons unsalted butter|
|1/2 cup grated Parmesan or pecorino, plus more for serving|
|1 lemon, zested and juiced|
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Roughly chop the broccoli rabe, add it to the pot, and cook for 3 minutes. Use a sieve or slotted spoon to lift the broccoli rabe from the water and place it in a colander to drain.
- Bring the water back to a boil. Cook the pasta according to package instructions until al dente, reserve 1 cup pasta water, then drain pasta.
- Meanwhile, in a large Dutch oven or deep, 12-inch skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. (Don’t worry if the sausage is not completely cooked through.) Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the wine and cook, scraping any bits from the bottom of the pan, until the wine is reduced by half, about 1 minute.
- Add the broccoli rabe, chickpeas, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper to the skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the sausage is cooked through and the broccoli rabe is very tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add the pasta and 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water, toss well, and cook over low heat until the sauce comes together, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add additional pasta water, a few tablespoons at a time, if needed for moisture.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the butter, Parmesan, lemon zest and lemon juice, and toss until the butter is melted. Divide pasta among shallow bowls and top with additional cheese sprinkled on top.
ORECCHIETTE WITH SAUSAGE AND BROCCOLI RABE – SKINNYTASTE
Provided by: Gina
Total time: 30 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
|1 large bunch broccoli rabe (washed and 2″ trimmed off stems)|
|1 lb lean chicken sausage (removed from casing)|
|1 tsp olive oil|
|5-6 cloves garlic (chopped)|
|10 oz orecchiette pasta (wheat or gluten-free)|
|1 cup less sodium chicken broth|
|1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano|
|crushed red pepper flakes (optional)|
- Cut broccoli rabe in quarters.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. When it comes to a rolling boil, add broccoli rabe.
- Blanch for about 1 1/2 – 2 minutes, drain and set aside in a colander.
- Re-fill pot with water and salt for the pasta and bring back to a boil.
- Add pasta and cook according to package directions for al dente.
- In a large deep sauté pan, brown sausage on medium heat, breaking up into small pieces as it cooks.
- When completely cooked through set aside in a dish or a bowl.
- Increase heat to medium high, add olive oil to the pan; when hot add garlic and cook until golden (don’t burn).
- Return broccoli rabe to the pan, mix well with the garlic and oil, season with salt and pepper and cook about a minute. Return cooked sausage to the pan and mix well.
- Drain pasta and add to the broccoli rabe. Reduce heat and stir for about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth, parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes if using.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste and toss another 30 seconds so that everything is mixed well and the pasta is coated with the sauce.
- Remove from heat and add to a large pasta dish or divide equally between 6 pasta bowls. Serve with additional grated cheese if you desire.
ServingSize 1 1/2 cups, Calories 289 kcal, CarbohydrateContent 39 g, ProteinContent 21 g, FatContent 5 g, FiberContent 4 g, SugarContent 1 g, SaturatedFatContent 1 g, CholesterolContent 4 mg
PENNE WITH SAUSAGE AND BROCCOLI RABE RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: shannon
Categories: Italian Recipes
Total time: 30 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
|1 (16 ounce) box penne pasta|
|1 pound hot Italian sausage links, cut into 1-inch pieces|
|3 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes|
|1 pound broccoli rabe, cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths|
|2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese|
|½ cup pasta boiling water|
|¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese|
|salt and pepper to taste|
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the penne, and return to a boil. Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 11 minutes. Drain well in a colander set in the sink, reserving 1/2 cup of the water.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir the sausage pieces, garlic, and red pepper flakes in the hot pan until the sausage is no longer pink on the outside, about 4 minutes. Stir in the broccoli rabe and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Pour in the reserved 1/2 cup of pasta boiling water. Cover, and cook until the sausage is no longer pink in the center and the broccoli rabe is tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir the cooked pasta, broccoli rabe, and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese together until evenly mixed. Season to taste with salt and pepper to serve.
Calories 497.8 calories, CarbohydrateContent 61.7 g, CholesterolContent 34.1 mg, FatContent 17.7 g, FiberContent 5.1 g, ProteinContent 24.8 g, SaturatedFatContent 6.3 g, SodiumContent 733.5 mg, SugarContent 4 g