YOTAM OTTOLENGHI’S CHERMOULA EGGPLANT WITH BULGUR AND YOGURT …
Provided by: Tara Parker-Pope
Total time: 1 hours 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
|2 cloves garlic, crushed|
|2 teaspoons ground cumin|
|2 teaspoons ground coriander|
|1 teaspoon chili flakes|
|1 teaspoon sweet paprika|
|2 tablespoons finely chopped preserved lemon peel (available in stores)|
|2/3 cup olive oil, plus extra to finish|
|2 medium eggplants|
|1 cup fine bulgur|
|2/3 cup boiling water|
|1/3 cup golden raisins|
|3 1/2 tablespoons warm water|
|1/3 ounce (2 teaspoons) cilantro, chopped, plus extra to finish|
|1/3 ounce (2 teaspoons) mint, chopped|
|1/3 cup pitted green olives, halved|
|1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted|
|3 green onions, chopped|
|1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice|
|1/2 cup Greek yogurt (optional)|
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- To make the chermoula, mix together in a small bowl the garlic, cumin, coriander, chili, paprika, preserved lemon, two-thirds of the olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise. Score the flesh of each half with deep, diagonal crisscross cuts, making sure not to pierce the skin. Spoon the chermoula over each half, spreading it evenly, and place the eggplant halves on a baking sheet, cut side up. Put in the oven and roast for 40 minutes, or until the eggplants are completely soft.
- Meanwhile, place the bulgur in a large bowl and cover with the boiling water.
- Soak the raisins in the warm water. After 10 minutes, drain the raisins and add them to the bulgur, along with the remaining oil. Add the herbs, olives, almonds, green onions, lemon juice and a pinch of salt and stir to combine. Taste and add more salt if necessary.
- Serve the eggplants warm or at room temperature. Place 1/2 eggplant, cut side up, on each individual plate. Spoon the bulgur on top, allowing some to fall from both sides. Spoon over some yogurt, sprinkle with cilantro and finish with a drizzle of oil.
@context http//schema.org, Calories 652, UnsaturatedFatContent 36 grams, CarbohydrateContent 59 grams, FatContent 45 grams, FiberContent 16 grams, ProteinContent 13 grams, SaturatedFatContent 7 grams, SodiumContent 1145 milligrams, SugarContent 19 grams, TransFatContent 0 grams
How to cook Aubergine in the oven?
Mix the aubergine in a large bowl with ½ teaspoon of salt. Transfer to two large, parchment-lined baking trays and then brush with 70ml of oil: you want it on both sides of the discs. Bake for 35 minutes, until dark golden-brown and cooked through. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. 3.
How do you cook aubergines with pesto?
Put 60ml olive oil in a small bowl and brush evenly over both sides of the aubergines. Sprinkle over half a teaspoon of salt and plenty of ground pepper, then roast for 25-30 minutes, until dark golden brown all over. Remove from the oven and spread the pesto evenly over each slice.
How do you make pickles with aubergines?
Mix the cucumber and chilli with the lime peel, vinegar and a quarter-teaspoon of salt, and leave to pickle for at least an hour. Cut deep cross-hatches into the flesh side of each aubergine half, season with three tablespoons of the olive oil and half a teaspoon of salt, and lay cut side up on an oven tray lined with greaseproof paper.
How to make the best grilled aubergine baguette?
Put the oil in a medium frying pan on a medium-high heat. Once hot, fry the onion for eight minutes, until soft and golden brown. Add the garlic and baharat spice mix, fry for two minutes, until fragrant, then add to the aubergine mixture along with the herbs, cheeses, three-quarters of a teaspoon of salt and plenty of pepper, and mix together.