CHICKEN ORZO SOUP RECIPE – BETTYCROCKER.COM
Provided by: Deborah Harroun
Total time: 30 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
|1 carton (32 oz) Progresso™ chicken broth (4 cups)|
|1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts|
|1 tablespoon olive oil|
|1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)|
|1/2 cup sliced carrots|
|1/2 cup chopped celery|
|3/4 cup uncooked orzo or rosamarina pasta (4 1/2 oz)|
|2 cups water|
|1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley|
|Salt and pepper to taste|
- In 3-quart saucepan, heat broth and chicken to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered about 10 minutes until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (at least 165°F). Remove chicken to cutting board. Skim fat from broth, if necessary.
- Meanwhile, in 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, carrots and celery in oil, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Add cooked vegetables, pasta and water to saucepan with broth. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 8 to 10 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces. Add chicken and parsley to soup; heat until hot. Season with salt and pepper.
Calories 330 , CarbohydrateContent 33 g, CholesterolContent 70 mg, FatContent 1 , FiberContent 2 g, ProteinContent 32 g, SaturatedFatContent 1 1/2 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, SodiumContent 910 mg, SugarContent 4 g, TransFatContent 0 g
LEMON CHICKEN ORZO SOUP RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: ReneePaj
Categories: Noodle Soup
Total time: 1 hours 20 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours 0 minutes
Yield: 6 quarts
|8 ounces orzo pasta|
|1 teaspoon olive oil|
|3 medium carrots, chopped, or more to taste|
|3 ribs celery, chopped|
|1 medium onion, chopped|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|½ teaspoon dried thyme|
|½ teaspoon dried oregano|
|salt and ground black pepper to taste|
|1 bay leaf|
|3 (32 ounce) cartons fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth|
|½ cup fresh lemon juice|
|1 lemon, zested|
|8 ounces cooked chicken breast, chopped|
|1 (8 ounce) package baby spinach leaves|
|1 lemon, sliced for garnish|
|¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese|
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Stir in orzo and return to a boil. Cook pasta uncovered until partially cooked through but not yet soft, about 5 minutes; drain and rinse with cold water until cooled completely.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, and onion; cook and stir until vegetables begin to soften and onion becomes translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Season mixture with thyme, oregano, bay leaf, salt, and black pepper; continue cooking another 30 seconds before pouring chicken broth into the pot.
- Bring broth to a boil. Partially cover the pot, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until vegetables are just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir orzo, lemon juice, and lemon zest into broth; add chicken. Cook until chicken and orzo are heated through, about 5 minutes. Add baby spinach; cook until spinach wilts into broth and orzo is tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Ladle soup into bowls; garnish with lemon slices and Parmesan cheese.
Calories 167.3 calories, CarbohydrateContent 21.7 g, CholesterolContent 20 mg, FatContent 4.1 g, FiberContent 2.6 g, ProteinContent 12.1 g, SaturatedFatContent 1.5 g, SodiumContent 186.9 mg, SugarContent 3.8 g