BARBECUED CHICKEN RECIPE – NYT COOKING
Provided by: Sam Sifton
Total time: 45 minutes
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
|1 cup barbecue sauce (see recipe)|
|6 to 8 chicken legs (drumsticks and thighs) skin-on, bone-in, about 3 1/2 to 4 pounds|
|Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste|
- Build a fire in your grill, leaving one side free of coals. When coals are covered with gray ash and the temperature is medium (you can hold your hand 5 inches above the coals for 5 to 7 seconds), you are ready to cook. (For a gas grill, turn one of the burners down to low or off, lower cover and heat for 15 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, combine barbecue sauce with 1 cup water and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Sprinkle the chicken pieces generously with salt and pepper, then put them on the grill directly over the coals and cook for about 15 minutes, turning once every 5 minutes or so, and brushing with the thinned barbecue sauce. When the chicken skin starts to crisp and darken, move the pieces to the cooler side of the grill and let them cook for 15 to 20 minutes more, or until a peek inside shows that the meat no longer has any red at the center.
- Move the chicken back onto the hot side of the grill and baste with sauce again, turning the meat a few times. Remove to a warmed platter and serve.
@context http//schema.org, Calories 534, UnsaturatedFatContent 22 grams, CarbohydrateContent 16 grams, FatContent 35 grams, FiberContent 1 gram, ProteinContent 36 grams, SaturatedFatContent 10 grams, SodiumContent 785 milligrams, SugarContent 12 grams, TransFatContent 0 grams
GRILLED CHICKEN WITH YOGURT MARINADE RECIPE – NYT COOKING
Provided by: Lidey Heuck
Total time: 3 hours 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
|1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt|
|2 garlic cloves, grated|
|1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried oregano)|
|1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)|
|1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for the grill or pan|
|1 teaspoon kosher salt (Diamond Crystal), plus more for serving|
|1/4 teaspoon black pepper, plus more for serving|
|2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs|
|Chopped fresh parsley, for serving (optional)|
- In a large bowl, combine the yogurt, garlic, oregano, thyme, olive oil, salt and pepper. Zest the lemon over the bowl, reserving the rest of the lemon for serving. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the chicken thighs, toss to coat, then cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or up to 24. Remove chicken from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.
- If using a grill, clean and oil the grates. Set the grill to medium-high or heat a grill pan slicked with olive oil on the stovetop over medium-high. Grill the chicken for 6 to 8 minutes on each side (depending on the thickness of the thighs), covering the grill halfway through if necessary to retain heat, until cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken thighs to a platter and squeeze half the lemon over them. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and parsley, and serve with lemon wedges on the side if desired.
TAJÍN GRILLED CHICKEN RECIPE – NYT COOKING
Provided by: Rick A. Martinez
Total time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
|Vegetable oil, for the grill|
|8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)|
|Sea salt (or kosher salt)|
|1/2 cup light agave syrup or honey|
|1/2 cup fresh orange juice|
|1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest|
|3 chipotle chiles in adobo, finely chopped, plus 1/4 cup adobo sauce|
|6 garlic cloves, finely grated|
|2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil|
|1 tablespoon Tajín Clásico|
|8 scallions, root ends trimmed|
|1/2 cup cilantro leaves and tender stems|
- Prepare a grill for medium-high, direct heat; clean the grates well, then brush them with vegetable oil. Alternatively, heat a grill pan on medium-high and brush the pan with oil.
- Arrange the chicken on a sheet tray and generously season both sides with salt. Whisk together the agave syrup, orange juice, orange zest, chipotles, adobo, garlic, olive oil and Tajín in a medium bowl.
- Brush both sides of the chicken with the Tajín sauce. Grill the chicken, turning and basting often with the Tajín sauce, until cooked through, charred but brick red and glazed, 7 to 9 minutes. Grill the scallions, turning occasionally, until lightly charred on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Serve the chicken with the grilled scallions, topped with cilantro.