AUTHENTIC DULCE DE CALABAZA (MEXICAN PUMPKIN CANDY) RECIPE …
Total time: 28 hours
Prep time: 24 hours
Cook time: 4 hours
Yield: 60 wedges
|1 large ripe pumpkin|
|hydrated lime (cal)|
- Cut pumpkin into uniform wedges or slices. Peel and cut pieces of desired size.
- Soak overnight in lime water to cover. (Use 1 tablespoon lime to each quart of water. Stir lime water well before pouring over pumpkin.).
- Remove pumpkin from lime water and wash thoroughly 3 or more times in clear water.
- Cover pumpkin with warm water and bring slowly to boiling point. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Drain and wash twice in clear cold water. Drain for an hour.
- Pierce each piece in several places with a fork so that sugar syrup can be absorbed.
- Weigh pumpkin and use equal amount of sugar. Cover pumpkin with sugar, moisten with water and bake at 300 degrees until pumpkin is crystalized, about 3 hours.
- Drain and place pumpkin on wax paper to dry.
- Will keep refrigerated about a week but you should double bag leftovers and freeze for later.
Calories 0, FatContent 0, SaturatedFatContent 0, CholesterolContent 0, SodiumContent 0, CarbohydrateContent 0, FiberContent 0, SugarContent 0, ProteinContent 0