FRESH STRAWBERRY MERINGUE CAKE RECIPE | MYRECIPES
Provided by: MyRecipes
Total time: 4 hours 20 minutes
Yield: Makes 10 to 12 servings
|1 cup chopped pecans|
|2 tablespoons cornstarch|
|⅛ teaspoon salt|
|2 cups sugar, divided|
|7 egg whites, at room temperature|
|½ teaspoon cream of tartar|
|2 (8-oz.) containers mascarpone cheese|
|2 teaspoons vanilla extract|
|3 cups whipping cream|
|4 ½ cups sliced fresh strawberries|
|Halved fresh strawberries|
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 10 to 12 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through. Remove from oven, and cool completely (about 10 minutes). Reduce oven temperature to 250°.
- Cover 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Draw 2 (8-inch) circles on each piece of paper. Turn paper over; secure with masking tape.
- Process cornstarch, salt, toasted pecans, and 1/2 cup sugar in a food processor 40 to 45 seconds or until pecans are finely ground.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, 1 Tbsp. at a time, beating at medium-high speed until mixture is glossy, stiff peaks form, and sugar dissolves (2 to 4 minutes; do not overbeat). Add half of pecan mixture to egg white mixture, gently folding just until blended. Repeat procedure with remaining pecan mixture.
- Gently spoon egg white mixture onto circles drawn on parchment paper (about 1 1/2 cups mixture per circle), spreading to cover each circle completely.
- Bake at 250° for 1 hour, turning baking sheets after 30 minutes. Turn oven off; let meringues stand in closed oven with light on 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until surface is dry and meringues can be lifted from paper without sticking to fingers.
- Just before assembling cake, stir together mascarpone cheese and vanilla in a large bowl just until blended.
- Beat whipping cream at low speed until foamy; increase speed to medium-high, and gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. (Do not overbeat or cream will be grainy.) Gently fold whipped cream into mascarpone mixture.
- Carefully remove 1 meringue from parchment paper; place on a serving plate. Spread one-fourth mascarpone mixture (about 2 cups) over meringue; top with 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries. Repeat layers 2 times; top with remaining meringue, mascarpone mixture, and halved strawberries. Serve immediately, or chill up to 2 hours. Cut with a sharp, thin-bladed knife.
LEMON MERINGUE CAKE RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK KITCHEN | FOOD NETWORK
Provided by: Food Network Kitchen
Total time: 3 hours 50 minutes
Prep time: 2 hours 50 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours 0 minutes
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
|3/4 cup sugar|
|6 large egg yolks|
|1/3 cup fresh lemon juice|
|1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest|
|1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch|
|Pinch of salt|
|6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces|
|4 large egg whites|
|1 cup sugar|
|Pinch of cream of tartar|
|1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract|
|Basic Vanilla Cake, recipe follows, baked and cooled|
|2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for the pans|
|3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the pans|
|1 tablespoon baking powder|
|1/2 teaspoon salt|
|1 1/2 cups sugar|
|4 large eggs, at room temperature|
|1 tablespoon vanilla extract|
|3/4 cup heavy cream|
- Make the lemon curd: Whisk the sugar, egg yolks, lemon juice, lemon zest, cornstarch and salt in a small saucepan over medium-low heat; cook, whisking occasionally, until the sugar dissolves. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until thick, about 10 minutes. Whisk in the butter a few pieces at a time until melted, then strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl. Press plastic wrap directly onto the surface and refrigerate until set, at least 2 hours.
- Make the meringue: Whisk the egg whites and sugar in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water (do not let the bowl touch the water) until the mixture is warm and the sugar dissolves, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the bowl from the pan; add the cream of tartar and vanilla and beat with a mixer on medium-high speed until stiff, glossy peaks form, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Assemble the cake: Put 1 cake layer on a platter; spread the lemon curd on top, stopping about 1/2 inch from the edge. Top with the second cake layer and press down gently. Cover the cake with the meringue, using the back of a spoon to make swirly peaks. Brown the meringue with a kitchen torch. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 1 day.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter two 9-inch-round cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper; butter the parchment and dust the pans with flour, tapping out the excess.
- Whisk 3 cups flour, the baking powder and salt in a bowl until combined. Beat 2 sticks butter and the sugar in a large bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce the mixer speed to medium; beat in the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla. (The mixture may look separated at this point.)
- Mix 1/2 cup water with the cream in a liquid measuring cup or bowl. Beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the cream mixture, beginning and ending with flour, until just smooth.
- Divide the batter between the prepared pans. Bake until the cakes are lightly golden on top and the centers spring back when pressed, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to racks and let cool 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edge of the pans and turn the cakes out onto the racks to cool completely. Remove the parchment. Trim the tops of the cakes with a long serrated knife to make them level, if desired.
LEMON MERINGUE ANGEL CAKE RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT
Provided by: Taste of Home
Total time: 01 hours 30 minutes
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Yield: 14 servings.
|12 large egg whites, room temperature|
|1-1/2 cups sugar, divided|
|1 cup cake flour|
|2 teaspoons cream of tartar|
|1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract|
|1/4 teaspoon salt|
|1 jar (10 ounces) lemon curd|
|4 large egg whites, room temperature|
|3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar|
|1/2 cup sugar|
- Place 12 egg whites in a large bowl. Sift 1/2 cup sugar and flour together twice; set aside. , Add cream of tartar, vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time. , Gently spoon batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on lowest oven rack at 350° until golden brown and entire top appears dry, 35-40 minutes. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour., Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake; split into 2 horizontal layers. Place cake bottom on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Spread with lemon curd; replace cake top. , For meringue, in a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread over top and sides of cake., Bake at 350° until golden brown, 15-18 minutes. Transfer to a serving plate. Refrigerate leftovers.
Calories 238 calories, FatContent 1g fat (1g saturated fat), CholesterolContent 15mg cholesterol, SodiumContent 121mg sodium, CarbohydrateContent 51g carbohydrate (41g sugars, FiberContent 0 fiber), ProteinContent 5g protein.
COCONUT MERINGUE CAKE RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Carol
Categories: Frosting and Icing Recipes
Total time: 1 hours 0 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 1 9×9-inch square pan
|½ cup butter, softened|
|½ cup white sugar|
|3 egg yolks|
|1 cup all-purpose flour|
|1 ½ teaspoons baking powder|
|¼ teaspoon salt|
|⅓ cup milk|
|1 teaspoon vanilla extract|
|3 egg whites|
|½ cup white sugar|
|1 ½ cups flaked coconut|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×9-inch baking pan.
- Beat butter and 1/2 cup white sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in bowl. Add flour mixture to butter mixture in two parts, alternating with milk and vanilla, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Spread in the prepared pan.
- To Make Topping: Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; add 1/2 cup of the white sugar gradually, and beat until egg whites are stiff. Fold in the coconut. Put spoonfuls here and there over batter, smoothing as best you can.
- Bake in preheated oven until meringue topping starts to brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
Calories 312.4 calories, CarbohydrateContent 40.2 g, CholesterolContent 96.1 mg, FatContent 15.5 g, FiberContent 1.6 g, ProteinContent 4.3 g, SaturatedFatContent 10.4 g, SodiumContent 278.8 mg, SugarContent 27.4 g