MANGONADA RECIPE – NYT COOKING
Provided by: Daniela Galarza
Total time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
|5 large ripe mangoes (about 15 ounces each), peeled, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 8 cups), or 2 1/2 pounds frozen mango, defrosted|
|1/4 cup granulated sugar, or to taste|
|1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from 2 fresh limes)|
|1 1/2 cups cold water, or as needed|
|3/4 cup silver tequila or rum (optional)|
|3/4 to 1 cup chamoy|
|Tajín, to taste|
|4 tamarind candy straws (optional)|
- Place 5 cups mango in a blender, reserving the remaining mango. Add the sugar, lime juice and 3/4 cup cold water to the blender, and blend on medium-high speed until puréed. Blend in tequila or rum, if using. Blend in additional water, adding 1/4 cup at a time, until mango mixture reaches the desired consistency.
- Chill mango mixture, covered, in refrigerator until ready to serve. For a colder mangonada, transfer mixture to the freezer until it reaches the consistency of a slushy.
- To serve, pour or scoop about 1/2 cup of mango mixture into each of four 16-ounce glasses. Add about 1/3 cup reserved mango to each glass, followed by 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons chamoy and a generous sprinkle of Tajín. Repeat with the remaining mango mixture, mango pieces, chamoy and a final sprinkling of Tajín on top. Garnish each glass with a tamarind candy straw, if using, and a spoon. Serve immediately.
SAVORY MANGO CHAMOY DAIQUIRI – TAJIN A UNIQUE BLEND OF MILD CHILI …
Cook time: 15 minutes
|TAJÍN® Fruity Chamoy Hot Sauce|
|TAJÍN® Clásico Seasoning|
- – Rim a glass in TAJÍN® Chamoy Sauce first, and then in TAJÍN® Clásico Seasoning.
– Blend the mango, syrup, ice, orange juice and 3 tablespoons of TAJÍN Fruity Chamoy Hot Sauce
– In the glass, pour 1 tablespoon of TAJÍN® Fruity Chamoy Hot Sauce.
– Serve the mixture, garnish with mango cubes and sprinkle with TAJÍN® Clásico Seasoning.
How do you make chamoy with frozen mango?
In a blender, blend frozen mango, pineapple juice, lime zest, lime juice, and honey until smooth. Pour chamoy and chili lime salt onto separate small plates. Dip a glass in chamoy, then in chili lime salt to coat rim. Drizzle 2 tsp. chamoy down side of glass, then pour in half of mango mixture.
How do you make mango chutney with chamoy and tamarind?
Add about ⅓ cup reserved mango to each glass, followed by 1½ to 2 tablespoons chamoy and a generous sprinkle of Tajín. Repeat with the remaining mango mixture, mango pieces, chamoy and a final sprinkling of Tajín on top. Garnish each glass with a tamarind candy straw, if using, and a spoon.
How do you make chamoy?
Place the whole pepper in the blender along with the apricot jam, lime juice, sugar, and salt. Blend on high speed until extremely smooth. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 2 months. Use chamoy with fresh mangos for a fun snack.
What is mango chamoy?
Chamoy is a sauce mixture that is made with different spices, sugar, and lime. It is sour and tangy, perfect enough to make your lips pucker up and your stomach sigh in happiness. Although Mango Chamoy is popular in Mexico, its origins are in China.