FUNNEL CAKES RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: TARMIA
Categories: Carnival and Fair Food
Total time: 20 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Yield: 3 large cakes
|1 quart vegetable oil for frying, or as needed|
|1 ½ cups milk|
|2 large eggs|
|2 cups all-purpose flour|
|1 teaspoon baking powder|
|½ teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|½ teaspoon salt|
|¾ cup confectioners’ sugar|
- Heat oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) in a heavy skillet.
- Beat milk and eggs together in a large bowl. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a separate bowl; stir into egg mixture until smooth.
- Use your finger to cover the funnel hole; pour in 1 cup of batter. Starting in the center of the skillet, remove your finger and move the funnel in a swirling motion to make a 6- or 7-inch round.
- Fry in hot oil until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar and serve warm.
Calories 524.4 calories, CarbohydrateContent 50 g, CholesterolContent 66.9 mg, FatContent 32.6 g, FiberContent 1.2 g, ProteinContent 8.4 g, SaturatedFatContent 5.1 g, SodiumContent 303.1 mg, SugarContent 17.8 g
FUNNEL CAKES RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT
Provided by: Taste of Home
Total time: 20 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Yield: 8 cakes.
|2 large eggs, room temperature|
|1 cup 2% milk|
|1 cup water|
|1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract|
|3 cups all-purpose flour|
|1/4 cup sugar|
|3 teaspoons baking powder|
|1/4 teaspoon salt|
|Oil for deep-fat frying|
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add milk, water and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; beat into egg mixture until smooth. In a deep cast-iron or electric skillet, heat oil to 375°., For each cake: Cover the bottom of a funnel spout with your finger; ladle 1/2 cup batter into the funnel. Holding the funnel several inches above the oil, release your finger and move the funnel in a spiral motion until all the batter is released, scraping with a rubber spatula if needed., Fry until golden brown, 2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners’ sugar; serve warm.
Calories 316 calories, FatContent 12g fat (2g saturated fat), CholesterolContent 50mg cholesterol, SodiumContent 256mg sodium, CarbohydrateContent 44g carbohydrate (8g sugars, FiberContent 1g fiber), ProteinContent 7g protein.