JAMAICAN BROWN STEW CHICKEN RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Chef John
Categories: Chicken Stew
Total time: 6 hours 0 minutes
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours 20 minutes
|4 cloves garlic, minced|
|½ cup sliced green onions, white and green parts separated, divided|
|2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar|
|2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped|
|1 tablespoon minced habanero pepper|
|1 tablespoon cider vinegar|
|2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root|
|2 teaspoons kosher salt|
|1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper|
|1 teaspoon smoked paprika|
|½ teaspoon ground allspice|
|8 (5 ounce) bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs|
|3 tablespoons olive oil, divided|
|1 large yellow onion, diced|
|1 pinch kosher salt|
|1 tablespoon brown sugar|
|4 cups chicken broth|
|⅓ cup ketchup|
|2 each bay leaves|
|1 cup sliced carrot|
|1 cup quartered baby bell peppers|
- Whisk together garlic, white parts of green onions, brown sugar, thyme, habanero, vinegar, ginger, salt, pepper, paprika, and allspice in a large mixing bowl.
- Make 2 cuts, about 1-inch apart, into the skin side of each thigh, perpendicular to the bone, cutting all the way down to the bone. Add chicken thighs to marinade; mix until evenly coated. Cover and place in the refrigerator to marinate, at least 4 hours or up to 12 hours. If possible, flip thighs several times while marinating.
- Remove chicken from marinade. Scrape off any chunks of marinade from chicken into the bowl and reserve for later.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large, deep, heavy-bottomed skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until almost smoking. Working in batches, brown the chicken all over, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to the marinade bowl; set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the same pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and a pinch of salt; cook until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon brown sugar and cook until onions are dark brown and caramelized, 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Add chicken broth, ketchup, and bay leaves to the pan; bring to a boil. Add carrots, bell peppers, browned chicken thighs, and reserved marinade.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is tender and no longer pink in the center and sauce has reduced and thickened, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Skim excess fat that floats to the top; baste chicken occasionally with sauce.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Stir in green parts of green onions.
Calories 342.7 calories, CarbohydrateContent 13.8 g, CholesterolContent 91.3 mg, FatContent 20.2 g, FiberContent 1.4 g, ProteinContent 25.4 g, SaturatedFatContent 4.8 g, SodiumContent 1318.6 mg, SugarContent 9.6 g