HUEVOS ROTOS (BROKEN EGGS) RECIPE – NYT COOKING
Provided by: Ali Slagle
Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
|1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed|
|2 teaspoons smoked paprika|
|1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes or 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne|
|Kosher salt and black pepper|
|2 pounds new potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces if necessary|
|1 medium onion, finely chopped|
|4 garlic cloves, finely chopped|
|Lemon wedges, for serving|
|Flaky sea salt, for serving|
- In a measuring cup, combine the olive oil, paprika, red-pepper flakes, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, a generous grind of pepper and 1 cup water. Put the potatoes in a large skillet and pour the olive oil mixture over them. Bring to a boil, then cover and cook on high until the potatoes are fork-tender, 6 to 9 minutes.
- Uncover and turn the heat to low. If the potatoes are sticking or dry, add more olive oil. Arrange the potatoes in an even layer, cut side down if halved, then add the onion and garlic surrounding the potatoes. Cover and cook until the potatoes are golden-brown and the onions are softened, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir the potatoes (if they’re sticking, add more oil). Make 4 nests in the potatoes and crack an egg into each. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until the whites are set and the yolks are still runny, 4 to 6 minutes.
- To serve, break the yolks gently with a serving spoon, then scoop some potatoes and an egg onto plates or into shallow bowls. Serve with a squeeze of lemon and flaky salt.
@context http//schema.org, Calories 417, UnsaturatedFatContent 18 grams, CarbohydrateContent 45 grams, FatContent 23 grams, FiberContent 6 grams, ProteinContent 11 grams, SaturatedFatContent 4 grams, SodiumContent 745 milligrams, SugarContent 3 grams, TransFatContent 0 grams
HUEVOS ROTOS AUTHENTIC RECIPE | TASTEATLAS
Provided by: TasteAtlas
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
|120 ml (1/2 cup) extra-virgin olive oil, preferably Spanish, for the fries|
|2 eggs, large|
|2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, for the eggs|
|2 tsp smoked paprika powder (optional)|
|salt, to taste|
- First make the fries. Slice the potatoes into thin french fries, then fry them in heated (shimmering, but not smoking) olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown. Season with salt, remove from the pan, and drain the pan from oil.
- Put the pan back on the heat, add 2tbsp olive oil, then crack the eggs into the pan and fry them sunny side up until the whites are set.
- Put the french fries on a plate, top with the fried eggs, then break the runny yolks so that they drizzle down over the fries.
- Dust with smoked paprika, season with salt to taste, then serve.