PERFECT BOILED EGGS RECIPE – NYT COOKING
Provided by: J. Kenji López-Alt
Total time: 10 minutes
|Up to 12 eggs (see note)|
- Find a lidded saucepan large enough to allow your eggs to comfortably fit on the bottom in a single layer. Add 1 inch of water, cover and bring to a boil.
- Gently lower eggs into the saucepan using a slotted spoon or a steamer basket. (It’s O.K. if the eggs are partly submerged on the bottom of the pot, or elevated on a steamer rack and not submerged at all.) Cover pan and cook eggs, adjusting the burner to maintain a vigorous boil, 6 minutes for a warm liquid yolk and firm whites, 8 1/2 minutes for a translucent, fudgy yolk or 11 minutes for a yolk that is just barely firm all the way through.
- Drain eggs, then peel and eat immediately, or transfer them to a plate and allow them to cool naturally before storing in the refrigerator for up to a week directly in their shell. (A small dot made with a permanent marker on the top of each cooked egg will ensure you don’t mix them up with the raw eggs.) Do not shock them in an ice bath after cooking; this makes them more difficult to peel.
JAMMY SOFT-BOILED EGGS RECIPE | BON APPÉTIT
Provided by: The Bon Appétit Test Kitchen
Yield: 4–8 servings
|4–8 large eggs|
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Using a slotted spoon, carefully lower eggs into water one at a time. Cook 6½ minutes, adjusting heat to maintain a gentle boil. Transfer eggs to a bowl of ice water and chill until just slightly warm, about 2 minutes.
- Gently crack eggs all over and peel, starting from the wider end, which contains the air pocket.
Do Ahead: Eggs can be cooked and peeled 3 days ahead. Store airtight in the refrigerator.
What is the best way to soft boil an egg?
the most recent cook’s illustrated has an article and technique for soft-cooked eggs: bring 1/2-inch water to a boil in a medium saucepan, use tongs to transfer 4 fridge cold eggs to the boiling water (they won’t be submerged), cover the pan and cook 6.5 minutes, remove cover and run eggs in pan under cold tap water for 30 seconds, remove eggs …
How many minutes to cook a soft boiled egg?
Use the following guide to decide how long to boil your eggs:
7 minutes. This length allows for a soft, runny yolk and firm white.
8 minutes. The yolk is jammy and soft but not liquid.
10 minutes. The eggs are mostly cooked through but slightly soft in the center.
12–13 minutes. This amount of time will result in fully hard-boiled eggs that are not over-cooked.
How to cook a soft boiled egg perfectly every time?
The Step-By-Step Instructions
Boil The Water. Boil enough water to cover all the eggs that you’re planning on cooking. …
Add your eggs to the water. Once your water is ready, transfer it to a saucepan (if it is not already in it), and heat over medium heat …
Boil the eggs to soft, medium, or hard levels. …
Cool The Eggs. …
To Easily Peel The Eggs. …
How to make boiled eggs in the Instant Pot?
Oil or spray the inside of a 7″ diameter heat-proof baking dish.
Crack each of the 6 eggs into the oiled bowl, careful not to stir. …
Add 1 cup of water to the inner liner of the Instant Pot.
Place covered bowl on long-handled trivet and lower into inner liner of the Instant Pot. …
Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes, then allow 10 minute natural release. …