GRANDMOTHER’S BUTTERMILK CORNBREAD RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Bethany Weathersby
Total time: 45 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 1 8×8-inch pan
|½ cup butter|
|⅔ cup white sugar|
|2 large eggs|
|1 cup buttermilk|
|½ teaspoon baking soda|
|1 cup cornmeal|
|1 cup all-purpose flour|
|¼ teaspoon salt|
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8-inch square pan.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly whisk in eggs.
- Combine buttermilk and baking soda in a small bowl; whisk mixture into the skillet. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well-blended and only a few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes.
Calories 284.3 calories, CarbohydrateContent 39.1 g, CholesterolContent 59 mg, FatContent 12.2 g, FiberContent 1 g, ProteinContent 4.8 g, SaturatedFatContent 7.1 g, SodiumContent 317.8 mg, SugarContent 16.6 g
BUTTERMILK CORNBREAD RECIPE | BON APPÉTIT
Provided by: Molly Baz
Yield: Makes one 13×9″ pan
|Nonstick vegetable oil spray|
|2 cups all-purpose flour|
|2 cups medium-grind cornmeal|
|¼ cup sugar|
|1 Tbsp. baking powder|
|2½ tsp. kosher salt|
|¾ tsp. freshly ground black pepper|
|4 large eggs|
|2 cups buttermilk|
|½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, slightly cooled|
- Preheat oven to 400°. Lightly coat a 13×9″ baking dish with nonstick spray. Whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Whisk eggs, buttermilk, and butter in a medium bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in egg mixture; stir into dry ingredients with a wooden spoon until combined. Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth top.
- Bake cornbread, rotating dish halfway through, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 20–25 minutes. Let cornbread cool slightly in dish, then cut crosswise into 4 large pieces. Transfer to a wire rack with a large spatula and let cool completely.
Do Ahead: Cornbread can be baked 2 days ahead. Store tightly wrapped at room temperature.