ROASTED MACKEREL WITH GARLIC AND PAPRIKA RECIPE | EPICURIOUS
Provided by: Gordon Ramsay
Yield: Serves 4
|2 garlic cloves, peeled|
|2 tsp paprika|
|1 tsp sea salt, plus more to taste|
|8 mackerel fillets, skin on|
|1 pound new potatoes|
|2-3 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced|
|Pinch of saffron|
|1 Tbsp white wine vinegar|
|1 tsp Dijon mustard|
|1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil|
|Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper|
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 2. Put the garlic and paprika into a mortar, add the salt, and pound to a smooth paste. Add a few drops of olive oil, then rub the flesh side of the mackerel fillets with the paste and set aside.
- 3. Make the vinaigrette. Put all the ingredients into a small bowl and whisk together with a fork. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and brush lightly with olive oil. Lay the mackerel fillets skin side up on the paper and season the skin with sea salt. Roast for 8-10 minutes until the skin is crisp and the fish is cooked through. Remove from the oven and leave to rest.
- 5. Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in a large pan of salted water for about 15 minutes until tender, then drain. Return to the pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Crush lightly with the back of a fork, then add the scallions and stir to combine. Season with salt, then add a couple of tablespoons of the vinaigrette.
- 6. Serve the crushed potatoes topped with the mackerel and a drizzle of the remaining vinaigrette.
WHOLE ROASTED MACKEREL RECIPE | MARTHA STEWART
Provided by: Martha Stewart
Categories: Seafood Recipes
Total time: 35 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
|1 whole Spanish mackerel (about 2 pounds), cleaned, head and tail left intact|
|Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling|
|Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper|
|1 lemon, thinly sliced|
|6 sprigs thyme|
|6 sprigs flat-leaf parsley|
|12 fresh chives|
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Using a sharp knife, make a few slashes in skin on both sides of fish. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle fish on both sides with oil; season with salt and pepper. Arrange a few lemon slices in cavity, and tuck the rest underneath fish. Tuck a handful of herbs into cavity; coarsely chop remainder and sprinkle over fish. Roast until fish is opaque and cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes.
- To serve, use a thin-bladed knife to cut fillet free from top side of fish. Gently transfer fillet to a cutting board with a spatula. Starting from the tail, slowly lift spine to separate it from bottom fillet. Slice each fillet crosswise into three portions; serve.
PAN-SEARED MACKEREL WITH SWEET PEPPERS AND THYME RECIPE …
At home, I sprinkled the fish fillets with salt, pepper and some sweet paprika. Then I let them sit while I slowly stewed the leeks, carrots and peppers with some garlic and thyme.
I seared the fish until lightly browned but still very moist inside. When people say they don’t like mackerel because it’s too strong and dry, it’s usually because the fish has been overcooked. But when cooked right, until just flaky in the center, the flesh is mild and almost buttery.
Provided by: Melissa Clark
Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
|1 1/4 pounds mackerel fillets|
|1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, more for seasoning|
|1/2 teaspoon black pepper, more for seasoning|
|1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika|
|6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, more as needed|
|2 leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced|
|2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced into rounds|
|1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced|
|1 small orange or yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced|
|5 large thyme sprigs|
|3 garlic cloves, minced|
|1/2 cup dry rosé or white wine|
|1/2 teaspoon sherry vinegar, more to taste|
- Season mackerel with salt, black pepper and paprika. Let fillets rest at room temperature while preparing vegetables.
- Set a large skillet over medium heat and add 5 tablespoons oil. Then add leeks, carrots, bell peppers and thyme, cooking them until they soften, about 10 to 12 minutes. Add garlic, stirring gently, and cook for 2 minutes more. Add wine and cook until most of liquid has evaporated, about 7 minutes. Season to taste with more salt, pepper and sherry vinegar, then transfer to one side of a serving platter.
- Wipe the skillet with a paper towel, add remaining oil, and set over high heat. When oil is hot, add mackerel in one layer, skin side down. Cook for 3 minutes, then flip and cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer, until fish is cooked through. Add fillets to platter and spoon vegetables on top of fish.
@context http//schema.org, Calories 561, UnsaturatedFatContent 30 grams, CarbohydrateContent 16 grams, FatContent 40 grams, FiberContent 3 grams, ProteinContent 28 grams, SaturatedFatContent 7 grams, SodiumContent 397 milligrams, SugarContent 4 grams