ABSOLUTE BEST LIVER AND ONIONS RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: JSHULER43
Categories: Beef Main Dishes
Total time: 45 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
|2 pounds sliced beef liver|
|1 ½ cups milk, or as needed|
|¼ cup butter, divided|
|2 large Vidalia onions, sliced into rings|
|2 cups all-purpose flour, or as needed|
|salt and pepper to taste|
- Gently rinse liver slices under cold water, and place in a medium bowl. Pour in enough milk to cover. Let stand while preparing onions. (I like to soak up to an hour or two – whatever you have time for.) This step is SO important in taking the bitter taste of the liver out.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Separate onion rings, and saute them in butter until soft. Remove onions, and melt remaining butter in the skillet. Season the flour with salt and pepper, and put it in a shallow dish or on a plate. Drain milk from liver, and coat slices in the flour mixture.
- When the butter has melted, turn the heat up to medium-high, and place the coated liver slices in the pan. Cook until nice and brown on the bottom. Turn, and cook on the other side until browned. Add onions, and reduce heat to medium. Cook a bit longer to taste. Our family prefers the liver to just barely retain a pinkness on the inside when you cut to check. Enjoy!
Calories 687 calories, CarbohydrateContent 74.2 g, CholesterolContent 577.9 mg, FatContent 20.7 g, FiberContent 4.4 g, ProteinContent 48.9 g, SaturatedFatContent 10.7 g, SodiumContent 308.7 mg, SugarContent 11.2 g
LIVER AND ONIONS RECIPE : TASTE OF SOUTHERN
Provided by: Steve Gordon
Total time: 30 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
|1 lb of Beef Liver|
|1 Onion, large, sliced|
|2 Tablespoons Butter|
|1 cup Flour|
|½ cup Shortening or Oil for frying.|
- Place liver in a colander and drain.
- Carefully spread liver pieces out in a pan, set aside.
- Remove ends and skin from onion. Slice to desired thickness.
- Heat a skillet to medium heat and add 2 Tablespoons butter.
- Add sliced onions to the skillet.
- Fry onions until translucent & slightly brown, stirring as needed, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove onions from skillet, set aside.
- Set up a dredge station by placing flour in a dish or bowl.
- Sprinkle liver with Salt, Black Pepper and Paprika to taste.
- Dredge liver pieces in flour, coating both sides. Shake off any excess and set aside.
- Add oil to skillet, let warm up for about 3 minutes.
- Place liver slices in skillet, brown the bottom for about 3-4 minutes.
- Flip liver slices over, let brown about 3 more minutes, do not over cook.
- You may cut a slice of the liver to test for doneness.
- Serve warm and Enjoy!