GREEN POZOLE WITH CHICKEN RECIPE | EPICURIOUS
|9 cups water|
|1 Turkish or 1/2 California bay leaf|
|1 large white onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced|
|6 garlic cloves, chopped|
|2 1/2 teaspoons salt|
|3 lb skinless boneless chicken thighs|
|1/2 cup hulled (green) pumpkin seeds (not roasted; 2 1/4 ounce)|
|1 lb tomatillos, husked|
|2 fresh jalapeño chiles, quartered (including seeds)|
|3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro|
|1 teaspoon dried epazote or oregano (preferably Mexican), crumbled|
|2 tablespoons vegetable oil|
|2 (15-oz) cans white hominy, rinsed and drained|
|Accompaniments: diced radish; cubed avocado tossed with lime juice; shredded romaine; chopped white onion; lime wedges; dried oregano|
|N/A lime wedges|
|an electric coffee/spice grinder|
- Bring 8 cups water, bay leaf, half of onion, half of garlic, and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil, covered, in a 6-quart heavy pot, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add chicken and poach at a bare simmer, uncovered, skimming off any foam, until just cooked through, about 20 minutes. Transfer chicken to a cutting board to cool. Pour broth through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl, discarding solids, and reserve. When chicken is cool enough to handle, coarsely shred with your fingers.
- Cook pumpkin seeds in a dry small skillet over low heat, stirring occasionally, until puffed but not browned (seeds will pop as they puff), 6 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool completely, then finely grind in coffee/spice grinder.
- Simmer tomatillos and remaining onion in remaining cup water in a 3-quart saucepan, covered, until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain vegetables and purée in a blender with jalapeños, 1/4 cup cilantro, epazote, remaining garlic, and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
- Heat oil in a 4- to 5-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then add purée (use caution as it will splatter and steam). Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in pumpkin seeds and 1 cup reserved broth and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in shredded chicken, hominy, and 3 more cups reserved broth and simmer, partially covered, 20 minutes.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 cup cilantro and serve pozole in deep bowls with accompaniments.
AUTHENTIC POZOLE VERDE RECIPE (GREEN POZOLE) – MARICRUZ AVALOS …
Provided by: Maricruz
Categories: main dish
Total time: 90 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 80 minutes
|1 30-oz can hominy (rinsed and drained.)|
|1 ½ lb chicken pieces (tights, breast, etc.)|
|½ knob garlic|
|1 small onion (halved)|
|1 7-oz can salsa verde (read note 3)|
|1 cup radishes leaves (packed, read note 4.)|
|1 small poblano pepper (roasted, peeled and seeded.)|
|1 small bunch cilantro|
|¼ cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)|
|1 jalapeño pepper (cut into chunks)|
|½ small onion|
|2 garlic cloves (peeled)|
|salt (to taste)|
|3 jalapeño or serrano peppers (cut into chunks)|
|1 small bunch of cilantro|
|1 garlic clove (peeled)|
|½ tsp peppercorns|
|1 Tbsp dried oregano|
|1 ½ tsp salt|
|2 Tbsp vegetable oil|
|½ cup onions (chopped)|
|½ cup radishes (sliced)|
|1 ½ cups lettuce (shredded)|
|2 limes (halved)|
- Place hominy into a large pot. Add chicken, garlic, onion, and salt. Cover with water.
- Cook for 1 hour. Remove onion and garlic from the pot and discard. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Place tomatillo salsa in a blender. Add onion, serrano chili, roasted poblano, cilantro, radish leaves, pepitas, and garlic.
- Pour 2 cups of water and blend until you’ll have a smooth sauce.
- Add the green sauce to the pot with hominy and allow to simmer for 20 minutes. Adjust with salt and turn off the heat.
- Shred the chicken and place it in a bowl (read note 2).
- Make the spicy salsa verde (optional)
- How To Serve
Calories 466 kcal, CarbohydrateContent 42 g, ProteinContent 27 g, FatContent 21 g, SaturatedFatContent 6 g, TransFatContent 1 g, CholesterolContent 87 mg, SodiumContent 828 mg, FiberContent 8 g, SugarContent 8 g, UnsaturatedFatContent 13 g, ServingSize 1 serving
POSOLE VERDE WITH CHICKEN RECIPE | BON APPÉTIT
Provided by: Chris Morocco
Yield: 6–8 servings
|¼ cup olive oil|
|1 large yellow onion, chopped|
|6 garlic cloves, sliced|
|2 teaspoons ground coriander|
|1 teaspoon ground cumin|
|½ teaspoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican), plus more for serving|
|1 whole organic chicken (about 4 pounds)|
|1½ pounds tomatillos, husked, rinsed|
|4 poblano chiles|
|3 serrano chiles|
|2 Cubanelle peppers (or 2 more poblanos)|
|2 15-ounce cans golden or white hominy, rinsed|
|Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper|
|2 cups cilantro leaves with tender stems, plus more for serving|
|½ small red onion, very finely chopped|
|Lime slices (for serving)|
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium. Cook yellow onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until very tender, 12–15 minutes. Add coriander, cumin, and ½ tsp. oregano and cook, stirring constantly, until very fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add chicken and 12 cups water. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered and reducing heat as needed to maintain a very gentle simmer, until chicken is cooked through (if it isn’t completely submerged, you can turn it once or twice) and legs wiggle easily in their joints, 40–50 minutes. At this point, you can let chicken and broth cool, then chill overnight.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425◦. Spread tomatillos, poblano chiles, serrano chiles, and peppers on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast, tossing once or twice, until tomatillos are tender and peppers are browned and collapsing, 30–40 minutes. Let cool.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board, reserving broth, and let cool until easy to handle. Remove meat from bones and shred into bite-size pieces. Discard bones.
- Split open chiles and peppers and discard stems and seeds. Discard any skin that can be easily peeled off; otherwise, just leave it on. Reserve baking sheet. Purée tomatillos, chiles, and peppers in a blender until smooth. Stir purée into broth and bring to a simmer.
- Spread hominy in an even layer on reserved baking sheet and roast, tossing once, until lightly toasted, very fragrant, and just beginning to brown around edges of baking sheet, 12–18 minutes. Scrape into pot with broth.
- Simmer broth, uncovered and seasoning with salt and pepper as needed, until flavors meld and broth is rich tasting, about 20 minutes. Ladle ½ cup broth into blender. Add 2 cups cilantro and purée until smooth and very bright green, at least 1 minute. Stir chicken into broth and heat through, followed by cilantro purée. Season with salt, if needed.
- Divide posole among bowls. Top with red onion and cilantro and serve with lime wedges alongside.
- Do Ahead: Chicken can be cooked 3 days ahead; cool in broth, cover, and chill.