JUMBO CHEESY ITALIAN MEATBALLS RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK KITCHEN …
|Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing|
|3 1/2 cups torn stale Italian bread (about 1/4 loaf)|
|1 cup whole milk|
|2 large eggs|
|2 pounds ground beef chuck|
|1 small bunch parsley, chopped(about 1 cup)|
|1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese|
|1 clove garlic, grated|
|1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes|
|4 mini mozzarella balls (bocconcini)|
|2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil|
|3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced|
|1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes|
|1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes|
|3 to 4 sprigs basil, plus chopped leaves for topping|
|Ricotta cheese, for topping|
- Make the meatballs: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and brush a baking sheet with olive oil. Pulse the bread in a food processor to make coarse crumbs. Transfer to a small bowl, add the milk and set aside to soak. Lightly beat the eggs in a large bowl, then add the beef, parsley, parmesan, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and the red pepper flakes; mix with your hands to combine. Add the bread-milk mixture and mix until just combined (do not overmix).
- Dampen your hands and shape the meat mixture into 4 large balls. Make an indentation in the center of each with your thumb and stuff with a mini mozzarella ball, then mold the meat around the cheese. Arrange the meatballs on the prepared baking sheet and bake until browned and firm, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: Heat the olive oil in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until the garlic softens, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, 1 cup water, the basil sprigs and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the meatballs from the oven and add to the sauce, spooning some of the sauce on top. Continue cooking, occasionally spooning the sauce over the meatballs, until tender and cooked through, about 6 minutes. Serve with ricotta and chopped basil.
- You can form all of these meatballs a day ahead; cover and refrigerate until ready to cook.
GIANT MEATBALLS AND MARINARA RECIPE | TRISHA YEARWOOD | FOOD …
Provided by: Trisha Yearwood
Total time: 1 hours 45 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
|Extra-virgin olive oil, for the baking sheet|
|1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley|
|3 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled|
|1 medium carrot, cut into chunks|
|1 stalk celery, cut into chunks|
|1 small onion, cut into chunks|
|2 large eggs, beaten|
|1/4 cup milk|
|Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|1/2 cup fine dried breadcrumbs|
|1/2 cup grated Parmesan|
|1 pound ground beef|
|1 pound ground pork|
|1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil|
|1 medium onion, chopped|
|4 cloves garlic, sliced|
|1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes|
|1/2 teaspoon dried oregano|
|Two 28-ounce cans whole San Marzano tomatoes, crushed by hand|
|1 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving|
|1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, chopped|
- For the meatballs: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment and brush with oil.
- Combine the parsley, garlic, carrot, celery and onions in a food processor and pulse to make an almost-smooth vegetable paste. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the eggs to the milk and whisk together, then add to the vegetables. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, beef and pork. Mix well with your hands. Form into 6 large meatballs and place, without touching, on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until the meatballs are just cooked through, about 40 minutes.
- For the marinara: Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat, add the oil and onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until the garlic begins to sizzle but doesn’t color, about 1 minute. Add the oregano, tomatoes, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 cup water and smash the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened and flavorful, about 20 minutes. Toss with the meatballs, then top with Parmesan and basil to serve.
What is the best way to make meatballs?
Directions. Make the meatballs: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and brush a baking sheet with olive oil. Pulse the bread in a food processor to make coarse crumbs. Transfer to a small bowl, add the milk and set aside to soak. Lightly beat the eggs in a large bowl, then add the beef, parsley, parmesan, garlic,…
How long does it take to cook meatballs in the oven?
Using wet hands, form meat mixture into balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Arrange onto prepared baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven until browned and cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
What are Italian meatballs made of?
Italian meatballs can be made from different types of meat, but commonly use lean ground beef and then a fattier meat like pork or veal to add richness.
How do you serve your giant meatballs?
We served our giant meatballs a few different ways… over spaghetti with hearty spaghetti sauce (very traditional), over rice noodles (Paleo version) and over spaghetti squash noodles (a la Whole30).