OVEN-ROASTED CHICKEN SHAWARMA RECIPE – NYT COOKING
Provided by: Sam Sifton
Total time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
|2 lemons, juiced|
|1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil|
|6 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and minced|
|1 teaspoon kosher salt|
|2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper|
|2 teaspoons ground cumin|
|2 teaspoons paprika|
|1/2 teaspoon turmeric|
|A pinch ground cinnamon|
|Red pepper flakes, to taste|
|2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs|
|1 large red onion, peeled and quartered|
|2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley|
- Prepare a marinade for the chicken. Combine the lemon juice, 1/2 cup
olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, turmeric, cinnamon and
red pepper flakes in a large bowl, then whisk to combine. Add the chicken and toss well to coat. Cover and store in refrigerator for at least 1 hour and
up to 12 hours.
- When ready to cook, heat oven to 425 degrees. Use the remaining
tablespoon of olive oil to grease a rimmed sheet pan. Add the quartered
onion to the chicken and marinade, and toss once to combine. Remove
the chicken and onion from the marinade, and place on the pan, spreading
everything evenly across it.
- Put the chicken in the oven and roast until it is browned, crisp at the
edges and cooked through, about 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the
oven, allow to rest 2 minutes, then slice into bits. (To make the chicken even more crisp, set a large pan over high heat, add a tablespoon of olive oil to the pan, then the sliced chicken, and sauté until everything curls tight in the heat.) Scatter the parsley over the top and serve with tomatoes, cucumbers, pita, white sauce, hot sauce, olives, fried eggplant, feta, rice — really anything you desire.
@context http//schema.org, Calories 390, UnsaturatedFatContent 21 grams, CarbohydrateContent 7 grams, FatContent 27 grams, FiberContent 2 grams, ProteinContent 31 grams, SaturatedFatContent 5 grams, SodiumContent 462 milligrams, SugarContent 2 grams, TransFatContent 0 grams
NADIYA HUSSAIN CHICKEN SHAWARMA RECIPE | TIME TO EAT, NETFLIX …
Provided by: Nadiya Hussain
Total time: 1 hours
Cook time: 1 hours
Yield: Serves 4
Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C and lightly grease a 900g loaf tin.
For the shawarma, mix together the cornflour, salt, cumin, coriander, paprika, turmeric, cloves, cayenne and cinnamon.
Put the oil into a bowl, then add the chicken and stir it around. Add the dry spice mix and stir to coat all the chicken pieces well. Layer the pieces of chicken in the loaf tin and press down, then bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the slaw. Put the broccoli into a large bowl.
Put the yoghurt into a second bowl and heat the oil in a small pan. As soon as the oil is hot, add the mustard powder and seeds – when the seeds begin to pop, pour the oil and seeds over the yoghurt, add the salt and stir. Pour this dressing over the broccoli, then mix in the parsley.
When the shawarma is ready, leave it in the tin for 10 minutes so that all the juices can go back into the chicken.
Tip it out of the tin and slice your shawarma. We like to eat this piled into flatbreads with the slaw. Any leftovers can be kept in the fridge, or frozen for the next time you need your shawarma fix.
NIGELLA’S CHICKEN SHAWARMA RECIPE – BBC FOOD
Provided by: Nigella Lawson
Prep time: 2 hours
Cook time: 1 hours
Yield: Serves 6
|12 skinless and boneless chicken thighs|
|2 unwaxed lemons|
|100ml/3½fl oz olive oil|
|4 fat or 6 smaller garlic cloves, finely grated or minced|
|2 dried or fresh bay leaves|
|2 tsp paprika|
|2 tsp ground cumin|
|1 tsp ground coriander|
|1 tsp dried chilli flakes|
|¼ tsp ground cinnamon|
|¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg|
|2 tsp sea salt flakes|
|lettuce leaves, to serve|
|250g/9oz plain yoghurt|
|4 tbsp tahini|
|1 fat or 2 smaller garlic cloves, finely grated or minced|
|fat pinch salt, or to taste|
|1 tbsp pomegranate seeds|
- Take a large resealable freezer bag and put the chicken thighs in it. Using a fine grater, preferably a microplane, grate in the lemon zest. Squeeze the lemons and add the juice. Pour in the olive oil and add the garlic, then add all the remaining ingredients.
- Squish everything about together, then seal the bag, place it on a plate or in a dish, and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, or up to 1 day.
- When you’re ready to cook, preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7. Remove the chicken from the fridge and allow it to reach room temperature.
- Tip the contents of the freezer bag into a shallow roasting tin – mine measures 44x34x1.5cm/17x13x½in – and make sure all the chicken thighs are lying flat and not on top of one another (if possible) before roasting in the hot oven for 30 minutes, by which time they should be cooked through (though obviously you must check) and golden on top.
- When the chicken’s more or less cooked, make the sauce simply by combining the yoghurt with the tahini and garlic, stir and salt to taste, and sprinkle with a few pomegranate seeds.
- Line a platter or a couple of plates with crisp lettuce, shredded or torn into pieces, and then top with the piping hot chicken, pouring the oily juices over them, unless you are, for some inexplicable reason, anti-oily-juices. If you wanted to make the chicken go further, you could cut the thighs into chunky slices rather than leaving them whole. And please do add any of the suggested accompaniments, itemized in my introduction.
SHAWARMA-SPICED CHICKEN PITA WITH TAHINI-YOGURT SAUCE RECIPE …
Provided by: Rhoda Boone
Total time: 22 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
|1/2 teaspoon ground cumin|
|1/4 teaspoon ground coriander|
|1/4 teaspoon paprika|
|1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper|
|1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|4 tablespoons olive oil, divided|
|1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided|
|3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided|
|1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed|
|1 cup full-fat or low-fat plain yogurt|
|1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon tahini|
|1/4 teaspoon grated garlic|
|1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest|
|4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided|
|2 tablespoons coarsely chopped dill, plus more for serving|
|2 tablespoons coarsely chopped mint, plus more for serving|
|1/2 large English hothouse cucumber, halved lengthwise, cut into 1/4″-thick half-moons (about 1 cup)|
|2 cups shredded romaine lettuce|
|3/4 cup small cherry or grape tomatoes, halved (about 5 ounces)|
|1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion|
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Combine cumin, coriander, paprika, cayenne, cinnamon, 2 Tbsp. oil, 3/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper in a large bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet and roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of thigh registers 165°F, 12–15 minutes; wrap pitas in foil and warm in oven during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Meanwhile, mix yogurt, tahini, garlic, lemon zest, 2 Tbsp. lemon juice, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper in a medium bowl until incorporated. Fold in 2 Tbsp. dill and 2 Tbsp. mint.
- Toss cucumber, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, remaining 2 Tbsp. lemon juice, 2 Tbsp. oil, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper in another medium bowl.
- Thinly slice chicken. Place 1 warmed pita on each plate and top evenly with chicken and tomato-cucumber salad. Drizzle each pita with 2 Tbsp. tahini-yogurt sauce; top with dill and mint. Serve remaining tahini-yogurt sauce alongside.
- Tahini-yogurt sauce can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.