CALDO DE RES: SPANISH BEEF SOUP RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK
|2 pounds beef shank, bone-in|
|1 medium-sized white onion, small dice, plus 1 cup chopped onion, for garnish|
|1 tablespoon salt|
|1 tablespoon pepper|
|12 ounces beef stock|
|12 ounces stewed tomatoes|
|4 ears corn|
|4 baking potatoes, like russets, unpeeled|
|2 chayote, zucchini may be substituted|
|6 carrots, peeled|
|1/4 cup chopped cilantro, plus more, for garnish|
|Water, to cover|
|1 head cabbage|
|1 lime or lemon, cut into wedges|
|Corn tortillas, for garnish|
|Sliced jalapenos, for garnish|
- Chop the beef shank into large chunks, keeping some attached to the bone, as bone marrow is an important element of the dish. Saute the beef chunks with the chopped onions, salt, and pepper. After beef is browned, add the beef stock and the stewed tomatoes. Bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer just below boiling point for about one hour, until the beef is “spoon tender.”
- Wash the vegetables. Cut each ear of corn and each potato into quarters. Cut equivalent chunks of carrots and chayote (if zucchini is used, keep pieces bigger as they will cook faster than chayote). Add the vegetables to the soup. Chop 1/4 cup of cilantro and add it to the mixture. Add water, to cover, the vegetables and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes. Cut the head of white cabbage into 1/2 and then into thirds, leaving the stem of the cabbage in. Wedge the cabbage chunks into the mixture and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Serve, making sure each bowl has chunks of all the vegetables. Garnish with a squeeze of lemon or lime. Serve with heated corn tortillas. Caldo de Res is accompanied by chopped sides of onion and cilantro which may be added according, to taste. Also, chopped jalapenos may be added for the perfect hangover cure.
- The recipes for this program, which were provided by contributors and guests who may not be professional chefs, have not been tested in the Food Network’s kitchens. Therefore, the Food Network cannot attest to the accuracy of any of the recipes.
CALDO GALLEGO RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: JMCCURTAIN
Total time: 50 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
|2 tablespoons olive oil|
|1 onion, minced|
|8 cloves garlic, minced|
|2 Spanish chorizo links, sliced|
|2 thick slices smoked ham, diced, or more to taste|
|3 potatoes, peeled and diced|
|2 turnips, peeled and diced|
|8 cups chicken stock|
|1 (15 ounce) can white cannellini beans|
|3 cups chopped turnip greens|
- Heat olive oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Cook and stir onion in the hot oil until translucent, 5 to 10 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Stir chorizo and ham into onion mixture and cook until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Mix potatoes and turnips into chorizo mixture; pour in chicken stock. Bring stock to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover stockpot, and simmer until potatoes and turnips are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium and stir cannellini beans and turnip greens into soup; cook until greens are desired tenderness, at least 3 minutes.
Calories 380 calories, CarbohydrateContent 29.4 g, CholesterolContent 45.7 mg, FatContent 20.6 g, FiberContent 5.6 g, ProteinContent 19.4 g, SaturatedFatContent 6.6 g, SodiumContent 1743.1 mg, SugarContent 3.5 g
CALDO GALLEGO (SPANISH WHITE BEAN SOUP)
Provided by: JerseyBlue
Total time: 30 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
|2 Cans White Beans|
|6 Cups Water|
|1 Large Chunk Unto (Salt Pork)|
|2 Turnips Cubed|
|2 Spanish Corizo Cubed|
|1 Medium Yellow Onion Diced|
|4 Cloves Of Garlic Minced|
|1 Teaspoon Spanish Olive Oil|
|.5 Pound Kale Leaves only / Chopped|
|Salt and Pepper to taste|
|1 Bay Leaf Whole|
- In a large pot place olive oil and saute Onions until translucent. Add in Garlic, Chorizo, and the salted pork. Add in Beans and water. Allow the water to reduce a little bit before adding the turnips about 45 minutes. Add turnips and cook for another 15-20 mins on medium heat. Five minutes before serving add in the kale. Salt and Pepper to taste.
Calories 22 calories, FatContent 0.787256660258267 g, CarbohydrateContent 3.5023697648125 g, CholesterolContent 0 mg, FiberContent 0.657665459352875 g, ProteinContent 1.048056763125 g, SaturatedFatContent 0.109933065820512 g, ServingSize 1 1 Serving (208g), SodiumContent 27.0508665628088 mg, SugarContent 2.84470430545963 g, TransFatContent 0.0844204555999687 g
LOS BARRIOS CALDO DE RES (BEEF SOUP) RECIPE – FOOD.COM
Total time: 1 hours 40 minutes
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours 15 minutes
Yield: 6 serving(s)
|5 lbs stew beef bones|
|salt, to taste|
|garlic powder, to taste|
|4 ears corn, husked an cut in half|
|6 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces|
|3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces|
|4 potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks|
|3 tomatoes, cut into wedges|
|3 zucchini, cut into 2-inch chunks|
|2 onions, cut into 6 wedges|
|1/2 head cabbage, cut into quarters|
|1 green bell pepper, sliced|
|6 cups rice, Spanish rice, cooked and hot|
|1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges|
- Place bones in large stockpot, add water to cover by 6 inches.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and boil gently for 45 minutes.
- Stir in salt, garlic powder. Then add corn, celery and carrots. Boil another 15 minutes.
- Add potatoes, tomatoes, zucchini, onion, cabbage, and bell pepper. Boil for 15 minutes longer.
- Ladle soup into 6 large bowls.
- Add 1 cup rice to each bowl.
- Squeeze juice from a lomon wedge over each bowl.
- Serve immediately as a main course.
Calories 973.9, FatContent 3.2, SaturatedFatContent 0.7, CholesterolContent 0, SodiumContent 91.1, CarbohydrateContent 215.2, FiberContent 14.1, SugarContent 15.6, ProteinContent 22.4