CHICKEN MAKHANI (INDIAN BUTTER CHICKEN) RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: MITCHMAN21
Categories: Chicken Curry
Total time: 35 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
|2 tablespoons peanut oil, divided|
|1 shallot, finely chopped|
|¼ white onion, chopped|
|2 tablespoons butter|
|1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste|
|2 teaspoons lemon juice|
|2 teaspoons garam masala, divided|
|1 teaspoon chili powder|
|1 teaspoon ground cumin|
|1 bay leaf|
|1 cup tomato puree|
|1 cup half-and-half|
|¼ cup plain yogurt|
|1 pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste|
|1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces|
|¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste|
|1 tablespoon cornstarch|
|¼ cup water|
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute shallot and onion until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in butter, ginger-garlic paste, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon garam masala, chili powder, cumin, and bay leaf. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Add tomato sauce, and cook for 2 minutes, continuing to stir frequently.
- Stir in half-and-half and yogurt. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat, and season with remaining 1 teaspoon garam masala and cayenne. Stir in a few spoonfuls of sauce, and simmer until liquid has reduced, and chicken is no longer pink. Add cooked chicken into sauce and stir together.
- Dissolve cornstarch into water, then mix into the sauce. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, or until thickened.
Calories 407.8 calories, CarbohydrateContent 15.6 g, CholesterolContent 107 mg, FatContent 27.8 g, FiberContent 2.2 g, ProteinContent 23.4 g, SaturatedFatContent 11.4 g, SodiumContent 523.4 mg, SugarContent 5 g