HOW TO MAKE GRANNY’S MILLION DOLLAR CAKE BY VALLERY LOMAS
Provided by: THEPIONEERWOMAN.COM
Categories: birthday,dinner party,Summer,baking,comfort food,dessert
Total time: 1 hours 10 minutes
Prep time: 0S
Cook time: 0S
Yield: 8-10 servings
|1 21-oz. can crushed pineapple in heavy syrup or pineapple in its own juice|
|1/4 c. granulated sugar (if using pineapple in its own juice, increase to 1/3 cup)|
|nonstick baking spray|
|3 c. all-purpose flour|
|1 tbsp. baking powder|
|1 tsp. kosher salt|
|1 c. unsalted butter, room temperature|
|2 c. granulated sugar|
|4 large eggs, room temperature|
|1 tsp. vanilla extract|
|1 tsp. almond extract|
|1 c. whole milk|
|1 8-oz. package cream cheese, room temperature|
|1/2 c. unsalted butter, room temperature|
|4 c. confectioners’ sugar|
|1 tsp. vanilla extract|
- Make the pineapple filling: In a blender or food processor, blend the pineapple on low until the consistency of applesauce, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a small saucepan, add the sugar, and heat over low until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes.
- Make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350° and place a rack in the middle of the oven. Spray three 8-inch cake pans with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium-low speed until creamy, about 30 seconds. With the mixer running, pour the sugar in a steady stream. Continue to beat on medium-low speed until incorporated, about 2 minutes. Increase the speed to medium and continue to beat until light, fluffy and pale, 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated before adding the next, about 2 minutes in total. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Add the vanilla and almond extracts.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and add one-third of the flour mixture, mixing until just a few streaks of flour remain. Add half the milk and mix until combined. If the batter appears broken, don’t worry—the next bit of flour will bring it back together. Add half the remaining flour mixture and continue to mix on low speed, just until no streaks of flour remain. Add the remaining 1/2 cup milk, continuing mixing on low, then add the remaining flour mixture. Mix until the flour is integrated, using a rubber spatula to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl as needed. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared cake pans and smooth the top.
- Bake until the cake layers are golden on top and a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Invert the cake onto the cooling rack to cool.
- While the layers are on the cooling rack, spread half the pineapple filling on one layer and the remaining filling on a second layer. (The third layer won’t get any pineapple on top.) Let cool completely.
- Make the cream cheese frosting: Add the cream cheese, butter, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until the ingredients come together, then increase the speed to medium and mix until creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Place one layer with pineapple filling on a cake plate, pineapple side up. Set the second layer with pineapple filling on top of the first. Then add the final plain layer, placing it upside down on top so that the bottom of the cake, the most even side, faces up (this gives you a nice, flat surface to frost). Use a spatula to frost the top and sides of the cake with the cream cheese frosting. Let the frosting set, then enjoy.
What are the recipes in the book Home bakings?
The book Home Bakings not only contains recipes for breads, cakes, and pastries, but also meats, vegetables, and fish. The young housewife will find here complete simple directions for making delicious cakes and other culinary delights. It explains the cooking of biscuits, muffins, griddle cakes, doughnuts, cakes and pastry.
What is the best baking book for kids?
Best for Kids: The Complete Baking Book for Young Chefs: 100+ Sweet and Savory Recipes that You’ll Love to Bake, Share and Eat! The best way to get kids interested in baking is to involve them in the process. America’s Test Kitchen has been putting out reliable recipes for years, and its “Complete Baking Book for Young Chefs” is no exception.
How many recipes are in the Great American baking book?
The nearly 125 recipes run the spectrum from chestnut jam tart to blueberry corn flour cobbler to ricotta cheesecake. Furthermore, the included lists of basic ingredients, equipment, and tips for success are approachable for bakers of any level wanting to try alternative flours.
How many baking books are there in PDF format?
With a good discipline, perseverance and the more than 20 baking books in PDF format that we have, you will be able to learn quickly how to make any bread. 16) Bread and buns making. Cream buns 17) Bread and buns making. Basic white bread Here ends our selection of free Baking books in PDF format.